Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2013, 10:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Detonation/Pinging

05 GT Autostick
I usually drive slowly, in an effort to save money. Every once in a while the temptation to kick it up to 11 is irresistible.

It revs up to redline without a problem. If I stop at 5K then punch it again, to 6K, there will be some detonation as soon as the acceleration starts. I think I have experienced that at lower rpms too; brief detonation at the begining of hard acceleration.

It has been completely tuned up around 3 months ago; new wires (MSD), plugs, cleaned TB and IAC. It seems to run just fine except for the detonation under those circumstances. I have run regular in it, but I think I have run two tankfulls of premium through, since the last tank of regular.

I wonder if this is the early stages of something that will get worse, or if it could just be bad gas, or maybe even carbon buil-up from my slow driving.
Old 01 Sep 2013, 12:01 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Detonation/Pinging

mine isn't a gt, but from what i understand, only premium should be used. i don't know why you'd put regular gas in a turbo. maybe a couple more tankfuls of premium might clear up the pinging.
Old 01 Sep 2013, 12:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Do a water clean out of thew combustion chambers and start running 91 octane or higher always. Do the math annually and you will see it is not the big a difference compared to the cost of fixing damage caused by running a lower octane fuel?
Somewhere on the forum I give a description how to do a water clean out of the combustion chambers.
rob342 and randyincctx like this.
Old 01 Sep 2013, 07:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If not stage 1, then premium is recommended not required. If running high test has not cleared it up on the first tank, you have other issues to tend to. I would run some Barryman's B-12 through and do as nitro said to decarbon the pistons. Then see if you still experience the problem. Are you sure that you do not have a staged computer in the pt, from a previous owner? Also, what does anybody think about the knock sensor not doing it's job or something like that? I have no idea on that last one . Just though I would mention that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 01 Sep 2013 at 08:00 am.
Old 01 Sep 2013, 11:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

might have something to do with the plugs you put in. are they the same heat range as the originals? too cold of a plug leads to plug fouling, carbon buildup, and also causes detonation. you might look at your plugs right before you try nitros cleaning method. if his cleaning method fixes your problem, you should figure out if it happened from using cheap gas previously or if it's from something simple like this.

this might be a cheap easy fix to consider. im no expert, so just a thought. my dart heads came with recommended plug numbers that were too cold for street use and i needed to go up to a hotter plug, which immediately remedied my problem(in a dd NA 'streetable' mustang drag toy). i never had a turbo car.

again im no expert but i believe too hot of a plug would cause pre-ignition and make the computer pull timing and feel slow, so it should be safe to try going up a range. maybe someone that knows more than me can confirm this last statement?
NitroPT likes this.
Old 01 Sep 2013, 02:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Hey, thanks everyone.
I was thinking about the math of using premium in my head and it made sense. That's why I will always use 91, now on. I figure in 15 gallons, the difference is $0.20 per gallon making a $3.00 difference for the tank. That's about 80% of a gallon of gas. Figure I might get .5 mpg better with premium and the cost savings diminish even more.

I will run some cleaner through the engine. I know Nitro knows what he is talking about, but it just seems so wrong to do the water cleaning way. That, and it's just simpler to throw some cleaner in the tank. If that doesn't help, I will do the water treatment method.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 01 Sep 2013, 04:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gru View Post
Hey, thanks everyone.
I was thinking about the math of using premium in my head and it made sense. That's why I will always use 91, now on. I figure in 15 gallons, the difference is $0.20 per gallon making a $3.00 difference for the tank. That's about 80% of a gallon of gas. Figure I might get .5 mpg better with premium and the cost savings diminish even more.

I will run some cleaner through the engine. I know Nitro knows what he is talking about, but it just seems so wrong to do the water cleaning way. That, and it's just simpler to throw some cleaner in the tank. If that doesn't help, I will do the water treatment method.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Thank you and I understand the reservations with the water clean method. LOL
No cleaners vaporize like H20. This vaporization action acts a super cleaner which will instantly remove and clean the tops of pistons,ring lands,spark plugs and the head combustion chambers.
Most all cleaner do not burn well nor do they burn cleanly. Look at what the ingredients are even the most widely used and recommended Seafoam has petroleum products and combustible agents to help them burn.

Uses water to clean is not really a new idea and water injection has been used on engines since WWII.

There is NO WAY you can harm any engine by running control small amounts of water through the intake system.

Any mechanic will tell you how clean the combustion chamber and pistons are from an engine that ran even a short while with a blown head gasket having the coolant going in the cylinders.

Last edited by NitroPT; 01 Sep 2013 at 04:58 pm.