Variety of Issues- Assistance Needed

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ZeldaOoT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Sep 2013, 11:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Variety of Issues- Assistance Needed

Hello all,

First off, while this is my first post on this site, I want to thank all of you for being on here- I have benefited just from reading a multitude of forums already! So far because of this forum, I have been able to replace my front brake pads/rotors, spark plugs/wires/coil pack, oil/filter change, upper/lower motor mounts, fix the cruise control, and learn about a variety of other things.

The vehicle in question is a 2004 PT Cruiser- Touring Edition- Non-Turbo.
Here are the issues I still have below that I need some advice on:

P0645- Air Conditioning Relay Clutch Circuit- I don't think the compressor is coming on, so I am going to get some jumper wires and try the low pressure switch to see if that helps. I don't think the relay itself is bad as I swapped it with another (the horn) and that still works... I have read from some that the fan should be checked. If I turn on the A/C and the motor comes on the whole time (low to progressively higher), are both the low and high fans working? My understanding is that this refers to the blower speed in the car. Is that correct, or is this focusing on the radiator fan? If I am way off, let me know.

P0443- EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve- I have read this could mean the gas cap needs replacing, or the EVAP Purge solenoid? Also, I will comment back on this in just a moment.

P0622- Generator F-Terminal Circuit- While some places (like my mechanic) are fast to state the alternator should be fixed, I know this doesn't always help. Others state there could be a compromised wire, specifically above the CV axle boot and below the exhaust. I still need to check this out... Any other thoughts? I will also comment back on this shortly.

P0499- NVLD Canister vent Valve Solenoid Circuit High- Everything I have read on this has been moderately confusing and questions either the fuses or the PCM being at fault. Any ideas how to approach this one? I will come back to this below.

P0688- ASD Auto Shutdown Relay Issue... I don't know much about what this one means, but in reading, I did see that the ASD Impacts three of the issues above (the NVLD Canister, Generator F-Terminal Circuit, & EVAP Purge Solenoid). Does anyone think this one issue could be signalling up the other three?

For reference the engine light and battery lights are on. Presumably from the issues above.

I do also sometimes have a P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire that seems to cause a little bit of a rough idle at times. I am unsure if this relates to anything above as well.

The only other issue I have is the power mirror buttons not working. My guess is a new switch, however some have stated WD40 behind the mirrors can sometimes loosen them up enough to work. I will try that first and report back.

Let me know what you all think and I appreciate the help! I am trying to do as much on my own as possible.

Thanks,
ZeldaOoT

Last edited by ZeldaOoT; 02 Sep 2013 at 11:24 pm.
Old 07 Sep 2013, 08:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Variety of Issues- Assistance Needed

*BUMP*

Also- I have someone taking a look at the vehicle today and they are thinking similarly to myself that these issues are interconnected and probably an issue in the PCM. Thoughts anyone?
Old 07 Sep 2013, 09:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Variety of Issues- Assistance Needed (PCM Recommendation?)

Update: Just got confirmation from the mechanic- it's similar to what I thought in that all the components were tied together and looks like a faulty PCM (specifically voltage regulator, but it's all built together).

Where do you recommend purchasing a new PCM? Anyone had any experience?
Old 07 Sep 2013, 09:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Way too many issues for one cruiser. You have tried resetting the computer to see if any of those are old fault codes and no longer valid? The best way, since your taking in anyway is to have whoever is looking at it use the scanner and completely wipe out the stored codes and reset the computer. Then start working on anything that pops up again. Don't go buying a computer until absolutely necessary.

Edit: Just saw you update. If that's the way you want to go, here's a older thread on buying a new computer....

Need PCM, where to purchase? besides dealer

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Sep 2013 at 09:40 am.
Old 02 Oct 2013, 09:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I forgot to respond to this. I ended up resetting the computer, continuing to run diagnostics, etc. Traced the problem back to the electric volt regulator in the PCM as having a problem. Swapped out the PCM, all these problems went away- the AC started working, the alternator light went off, and so did all the other errors. Crazy, but very happy that for $125 I was able to fix all that.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 02 Oct 2013, 10:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Very good I figured that was your issue.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Oct 2013, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for getting back and $125 for a PCM is a deal....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles