PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Interesting Cruise Control Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Sep 2013, 04:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Interesting Cruise Control Problem

Hello all,

I have a cruise control issue that I thought I understood, but may have something wrong. Here's the symptoms- when I press the cruise control button on my 2004 PT Cruiser automatic, the "cruise" light comes on the dash and turns off almost immediately (within 1 second).

I thought it was a brake switch issue because when I disconnected the brake switch, the cruise light will actually stay on (haven't tested functionality on the highway yet). When I replaced it with a new brake switch today however, the light started doing the same thing.

What am I missing/what should I do here? I read the following article on the brake switch replacement fixed his, so now I'm baffled: http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/4...ight-goes.html

Thanks,
-ZeldaOoT
Old 03 Sep 2013, 06:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Interesting Cruise Control Problem

The clock spring is another power pass-through weak point.
Electrical connectors hidden behind the steering wheel ought to be checked for corrosion or heat damage.
The 2004 shop manual has this to say about the brake switch.

"INSTALLATION
CAUTION: Do not reuse the original brake lamp switch. The switch can only be adjusted once. That is during initial installation of the switch. If the switch is not adjusted properly or has been removed for some service, a new switch must be installed and adjusted.
(1) Obtain NEW brake lamp switch. The adjustment lever on the new switch should be at a 45 angle from the wiring connector. If the adjustment lever is parallel with the wiring connector, the switch has been pre-set and must be scrapped.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RESET (OR RE-ADJUST) THE BRAKE LAMP SWITCH.
(2) Connect the wiring harness to the connector on the switch.
(3) Mount and adjust the NEW brake lamp switch using the following steps:
(a) Install the switch in its bracket by aligning the index tab on the switch with the notch in the mounting bracket.
(b) When the switch body is fully seated in its bracket, rotate the switch clockwise approximately 30 to lock the switch into place.
(c) With the brake pedal in the fully released position, move the adjustment lever on the brake lamp switch from the 45 angled non-adjusted position,
clockwise, until it is parallel with the wiring connector. The brake lamp switch is now properly adjusted to the vehicle."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaOoT View Post
...I thought it was a brake switch issue because when I disconnected the brake switch, the cruise light will actually stay on (haven't tested functionality on the highway yet). When I replaced it with a new brake switch today however, the light started doing the same thing....
-ZeldaOoT
Old 03 Sep 2013, 07:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
The clock spring is another power pass-through weak point.
Electrical connectors hidden behind the steering wheel ought to be checked for corrosion or heat damage.
I don't believe it to be a clock spring issue, although I could check it out. I don't have any other symptoms that would be consistent with clock spring failure.

The cruise control light in the dash will function perfectly fine given the following conditions:
1) The car is off with key in the run position.
2) The car is on and running, but the brake switch isn't plugged in.

The moment the brake switch is connected and the car is on, the cruise light will turn off only a second after the cruise button has been pressed.

Hope these extra details help.
Old 03 Sep 2013, 08:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i too have a 2004,a base model w/an automatic and my cruise only works 50% of the time.I have never noticed the light in the dash indicative of the cruise being on/engaged but will look for it.
Old 04 Sep 2013, 04:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default A couple of thoughts

First thought: The working of the dash display "cruise" in green is different from the system not working. Just to be clear, since that was never said. The instrument panel logics turn on the light when the PCM bus data link supplies a signal.
Daytime, unless I advance the panel lights dimmer switch to full brightness (parade mode), I can not see the "cruise".

Second thought:
The PCM and T(rans)CM logics control the system for speed control.

ZeldaOoT, your brake switch investigation is logical. There are 3 pin-pairs at the brake switch connector that serve three circuits to the PCM. Maybe good reason for the Mopar brake switch replacement cautions.

Any of several bad circuits or inputs or grounds could cause the cruise control (and light) to shut off:
cruise control switch, clock-spring, input speed sensor, output speed sensor, transmission and/or clutch switches, vehicle speed sensor, the vacuum servo and vacuum system, so many connectors, possible corrosion.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 03:29 am
Senior Cruiser

The brake switch can be tested with an ohmeter. Three switches in one unit for a 2006. One of the switches shut off the cruise control.

Thanks sana for the info.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 07:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

checked for a cruise on light yesterday,cruise actually worked,and i do not have a light to indicate that my cruise is powered up/nor that it is engaged.i have a 2004 as well w/the automatic.different grades of options for different cars?