PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
K&N DROP IN OR AFTERMARKET AIR INDUCTION?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2001, 09:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default K&N DROP IN OR AFTERMARKET AIR INDUCTION?

I know most of you are sick of this question from the other forums, but I am still not sure which way to go. I already have a dual exhaust system (Scottsdale) and I want to either get a K&N drop in filter, or an aftermarket air induction system, however, I am always reading that the aftermarket ones create too much heat, and you need to insulate them (which I don't like the way the insulation looks)

Is there a way to have it all, Increased performance, good looks under the hood, the awesome sound, and keep the temperature down?

Help, the way it looks now, I will be going with the K&N drop in?

What do you guys think?

Crimson

The Crimson Ghost
Old 05 Sep 2001, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The K & N drop in is the best value. It will give you 3-4 dyno horsepower for $33. Heat is not an issue.

The K & N 57-1515 ram air works beautifully and gives you an actual
[ignore their claims] 8-9 horsepower for $229. Again, heat is not an issue. It sucks harder to gain any available cooler air from outside.

The APC Intimidator is an excellent value for $149. It yields 5-7 actual horsepower and is chromed so it looks pretty too. It gives you excellent access to the battery, dipstick and brake reservoir. Heat is not an issue.

Air intake, exhaust, Jet Programmer and JBA header will really pep up you lazy PT.

raceandstreet.com

W.A. Rea
Old 08 Sep 2001, 01:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 28G is very sluggish in the low gears, very slow response to acceleration, and I'm hoping that an air induction system would improve not only the response but the mpg. I too am confused about which is the best system to use, will keep on researching and collecting all the advice I can find here. Thanks!

Cruisin' with the Queen since 11/09/00
Old 08 Sep 2001, 01:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have modified my intake system with a home-made set-up: I removed the factory airbox top, installed a K&N RU-0620 filter using a curved tailpipe section connecting to the factory rubber manifold intake. I ran a 2" air duct from the left brake intake opening in the lower grille area to the lower factory air box intake (cut off the flare). I took some old thick mattress-pad topper foam rubber material (about 1 1/2" thick) and fitted it around the sides of the factory airbox bottom and left it tall enough to reach (and bend under) the inside of the hood when closed. I then ran a second 2" air duct from the left center grille area (next to and in front of the radiator) up to the air box, running this duct through the foam material. I covered the lower ends of the ducts with screening, and trimmed some of the factory plastic material at the brake duct and left wheel-well areas as necessary. I also glued the top end of the air duct hose where it went through the foam. Results? I have NOT put gauges/meters, etc. on the system, but there definitly is an improvement in response and acceleration. Also, I have noted an increase of 1-2 miles per gallon, much to my surprise. The foam was simply an attempt to quiet down the increased noise resulting from the removal of the factory air intake box top. I LIKE IT, and it didn't cost a bunch, either!!!!
By the way, this is NOT to take away from Bill Rea/Race & Street - I have purchased MANY items from him and think his prices and service are GREAT!

Cruiserjim: 5 speed black Limited; 17" wheels/tires; Progress sway bars and strut tower brace; H&R springs; Xenon covers fr/rr; Bassani duals; home-made intake mod; lots of other goodies!

Edited by - cruiserjim on 09/08/2001 12:39:08
Old 15 Sep 2009, 07:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?

effing spammers
Old 16 Sep 2009, 06:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: K&N DROP IN OR AFTERMARKET AIR INDUCTION?

The K&N drop-in was as waste of money and it's a pain to clean and recharge.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 06:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet2003 View Post
The K&N drop-in was as waste of money and it's a pain to clean and recharge.
I have the K&N drop-in in both Cruisers and it works great. I have had no problems keeping it clean with the K&N recharge kit that provides the cleaner and the oil.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 16 Sep 2009, 06:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, Crimson.
Have you looked at the K&N apollo?
K&N Apollo Universal Closed Air Intake Systems
It may fill you bill....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Sep 2009, 07:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Never seen the Apollo's before, those are nice looking.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: K&N DROP IN OR AFTERMARKET AIR INDUCTION?

I recently bought the Airaid air intake seen here, though not from there. I've been quite happy with it. Recently, I drove through the desert to Arizona, and even in 110+ degree weather, going up hills that had warning signs about turning off AC that I ignored, my car ran at exactly the same temperature that it had always run before I changed the intake.
I can't prove an increase in HP, since I don't have a dynamometer, but it feels peppier off the line. Also, on that same trip, I got 350 miles out of a single tank of fuel, with the AC on for the entire trip.