PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating 2003 Limited

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2013, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating 2003 Limited

Alright, first, the site is awesome, glad to see so many helpful posters.

Lemme start with 4 months ago.

4 months ago the car began overheating, bad, the heater core also began leaking. So I replaced the radiator and bypassed the heater core until I can afford the heater core. 5 or so days later the car completely died, ended up needing to replace the timing belt, tensioner, cylinder head and water pump as apparently it was clogged up pretty bad. Get it back 3 months later from the repairs of the head and all that good stuff and now its overheating again. (yes the chosen mechanics sucked but it was the best I could afford at the time)

Now in the last 4 days, I've replaced the thermostat and radiator cap,bled and filled the system, nearly endlessly. Its acting as if it has a hole in the system somewhere, but unable to pinpoint any leaks.

My initial thoughts of this as it will also overheat just sitting at idle is the fan might not be working to snuff. But at the same time of that, it will overheat even while on the move, as if something was blocking the air flow, which i checked that out and there is no blockage. I'm at a loss, I've replaced nearly everything that has to do with the overheating issue.

The only other ideas I have are the temp sensor, Fan motor/relay which will get replaced by this friday.

Any insights?

Last edited by Drakkun; 04 Sep 2013 at 07:29 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 03:22 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating 2003 Limited

Drak; There are many many articles on this site about cars with similar symptoms. Take a couple of hours to understand how the cooling system works in a PT.

Check the hose from the radiator cap to the reservoir tank.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 07:14 am
Banned

Wow, no Info

Year? Model? Mileage? Us or uk version, na, turbo lite, or gt?

And the search button is your friend
Old 05 Sep 2013, 10:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

2003 - Limited - Non turbo - 82000 miles. US version.

The reason behind asking finally. I've spent several days and hundreds of dollars following the other leads. Search has been used. Only 2 or 3 of the threads had the OP come around and say the issue was resolved and how it was resolved, which are the same parts I've replaced, and still have the issue. The rest are still open.

Guess I'll go else where.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 11:02 am
Banned

That's because alot of people come here are not enthusiasts, they only come here to get some advice about their issue. Once there issue is fixed they are gone.

Let's hope you come back when your car is fixed, you wouldn't want to resemble your remark about people not coming back

Just sayin

QUOTE=Drakkun;490905]2003 - Limited - Non turbo - 82000 miles. US version.

The reason behind asking finally. I've spent several days and hundreds of dollars following the other leads. Search has been used. Only 2 or 3 of the threads had the OP come around and say the issue was resolved and how it was resolved, which are the same parts I've replaced, and still have the issue. The rest are still open.

Guess I'll go else where.[/QUOTE]
randyincctx and dirty05 like this.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 11:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
That's because alot of people come here are not enthusiasts, they only come here to get some advice about their issue. Once there issue is fixed they are gone.

Let's hope you come back when your car is fixed, you wouldn't want to resemble your remark about people not coming back

Just sayin

If I wasn't wanting to get the pt running full bore, I wouldn't have joined. I get in to my cars, am also a Probe enthusiast. We unfortunately got a lemon, but I'm slowly restoring it to its full potential, when I have the funds available, but with the reception I've recieved looking for help, and the assumptions pulled. I'll take my leave. I've no interest in joining this community if that is the attitude that I get for looking for help.

Suffice it to say, I am a car enthusiast, before I joined these pages. Didn't know the site existed until recently via google. So my apologies.

Last edited by Drakkun; 05 Sep 2013 at 12:11 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 02:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Overheating 2003 Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakkun View Post
cylinder head and water pump as apparently it was clogged up pretty bad.
That sounds like somewhere,someone mixed Ethyl Glycol coolant with the factory recommended HOAT coolant.......Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakkun View Post
The only other ideas I have are the temp sensor, Fan motor/relay which will get replaced by this friday.Any insights?
If the ECT isn't functioning properly,it won't send the correct signal to the PCM/ECU,which then sends the signals to the proper fan relays.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 03:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
That sounds like somewhere,someone mixed Ethyl Glycol coolant with the factory recommended HOAT coolant.......Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...
With the way the original radiator looked, I wouldn't be suprised.
Quote:
If the ECT isn't functioning properly,it won't send the correct signal to the PCM/ECU,which then sends the signals to the proper fan relays.
for 40 bucks I'll try that out. I'm up for just about anything at this point, but still concerned at the amount of air that continuously gets introduced to the cooling system.

We sadly bought this one on its last legs, original owner did not take care of it at all. We've nursed it back to running more or less. Still hoping that its not the head again.

Edit - Finally found some HOAT nearby. Will be flushing the radiator and lines out tonight. Have my wife running to get it while I'm at work. $20 at the dodge dealer. They told me once before that they didn't have any, after the first guy looking at me like i was goofy.

Last edited by Drakkun; 05 Sep 2013 at 03:57 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 03:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Overheating 2003 Limited

I don't believe you can successfully use color as a matching feature. Any Chrysler or Dodge dealer will have the proper HOAT coolant.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
I don't believe you can successfully use color as a matching feature. Any Chrysler or Dodge dealer will have the proper HOAT coolant.
It was a series of bad information before I found this forum(even from the lot we got the car from). Atleast thats something I can remedy before it gets bad again. Now that most of everything is new in the engine/cooling system.

The HOAT coolant thread helped explain alot to me. I've never owned anything Damler before the PT - When it runs properly I love her, lately though hasn't been the case. Still love it, just been frustrated to say the least.

Sad to see however that so many Napa's around here went out of business. Napa's here in Kentucky used to be like liquor stores, on the corner of most streets. The one that I've been able to find still in business is now out in eastern Kentucky