Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Eclipse transmission in a Cruiser?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2013, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Eclipse transmission in a Cruiser?

Hi, New to the forum first post.

I've have had my white 2003 2.4L 5 speed for about 6 months now and love it.

Has 150,000 miles, over all the car is in great shape.
I changed the t-belts (original equipment!) and water pump and all the fluids when I first got it.

Now for my question.

A couple of weeks ago the manual transmission started popping out of 5th gear.

First thing I did was put in Booger bushings and adjusted the shifter, it really needed them, the old bushings were completely trashed. It tightened up the shifter nicely but the problem remains.

All the motor and trans mounts are in good shape so I guess that means the transmission has to come out.

So I have been looking around for a good used transmission, Today I was given a transmission with extremely low miles that looks to be in excellent shape, the problem is itís out of a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse.

It looks Identical to the PTís transmission; the only visible difference (to my untrained eye) is the shifting arms. All the bolt and mounting holes look the same the input shaft and bellhousing look the same.

Does anyone know if this transmission will work before I try to swap it in or spend $400 to $500 on a used PT trans or at least $800 to have mine rebuilt?

Are the gear ratios the same?

My searches say that this transmission will bolt into a Neon and the PT transmission will also bolt into a Neon but I have not seen anywhere that someone has bolted an Eclipse transmission into a PT.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Peter
Old 04 Sep 2013, 08:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Eclipse transmission in a Cruiser?

I'm unsure what transmission they use, but if they did fit I'd know about it.
'01 & up neon or PT, Neon uses a 3.55 on MOST models so it'll slow engine down.
'01 PT uses .81 5th, so it's more buzzy on freeway
Old 06 Sep 2013, 12:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

On a Dodge Board they were talking about Manual Transmissions that will bolt up to a PT Cruiser engine, this is the list they came up with: All PT cruiser 5speed transmissions will bolt up.
94-99 neon manual transmission: You have to swap the bell housing from the cable to hydraulic.

96-99 Chrysler Sebring, dodge avenger, non turbo dodge talon, non turbo mitsubishi eclipse (the Transmission I have) They said these Transmissions have the same gear set used in the 1G neon r/t, which is geared for racing and not highway driving. No bell housing swap needed for these Transmissions.

So, it looks like the transmission will bolt in, but I would probably rather have the 03 and up PT Cruiser gearing if I am to do any Interstate driving and want good mileage.
This is a picture of the bell housing side of the Transmission.

Peter
Old 07 Sep 2013, 09:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

I'm at a loss here.there only a slight difference in a couple of ratios when they changed to the HD trans in late 00.
Essentially, there were no new ratios after 1997, racing or otherwise.

For domestic pt, only ratio change was 01 to 02, and that was only 5th gear- the 'taller' ratio was fitted