PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is my car possessed?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2013, 04:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Is my car possessed?

Hello, I'm the proud new owner of a 2005 PT Cruiser Touring Edition with just over 80,000 miles. I love this car, ...but it has a weird problem.

At random intervals, the warning chime will sound for no apparent reason. There are no warning lights on the dashboard. There are no trouble codes showing up when the computer is diagnosed (by Autozone, my mechanic, or by me when I do a manual check on the dash). There's no pattern to the duration of time in between chimes (ON, off for a minute, ON, off for less than 30 seconds, ON, off for 3 minutes, etcetera). All doors are securely closed. When in use, all seat-belts are securely fastened. There are no fluid leaks, oil or otherwise. The car was recently serviced, but this is a problem the last owner complained about too.

Is my car possessed by Satan, and should I call a priest?

Seriously though, would someone please share their advice on what's likely going on with the warning chime on my PT Cruiser?

I'm not new to the forum. In fact, I asked my mechanic to look at the timing belt purely as a result of reading so many of your posts (it definitely needed replacing and was taken care of with a new kit, so thanks!). This, however, is the very first post I've ever made and I looked, but couldn't find anything like what I'm describing above. I would certainly appreciate any advice you guys are willing to offer. That chime is beginning to drive me crazy...
Old 06 Sep 2013, 04:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Is my car possessed?

Battery going bad,or has at least one bad cell.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 04:53 pm
Banned

Default Re: Is my car possessed?

Just ignore it
Old 06 Sep 2013, 05:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Battery going bad,or has at least one bad cell.
Thanks for the suggestion, Randy! The battery was replaced only two weeks ago. Could that still be an issue? Also, when you say, "it has one bad cell," could you elaborate on that? Apologies, but I'm not really up to speed yet on how to speak car.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 05:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Just ignore it
I tried... believe me, I tried.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 05:29 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_with_a_PTCruiser View Post
I tried... believe me, I tried.
Get subwoofers and crank it up
Old 06 Sep 2013, 09:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I know if I slam on my breaks or take a really sharp turn fast my oil light sometimes comes on when I'm close to being due for an oil change. Mine doesn't burn oil or leak. But still comes on on hard breaking and turning when it's close to that time. Are you sure that no lights are coming on when it dings?? I know my oil light only lights up for like a split second and barely catch it. Maybe could be close to your problem??? Mine is a 05 too but with quite a bit more miles lol. 161xxx
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 10:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Is my car possessed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_with_a_PTCruiser View Post
The battery was replaced only two weeks ago. Could that still be an issue?
Well maybe.....We just recently had a member,who was having strange electrical problems (door locks locking & unlocking by themselves) he was in formed it could be battery related,and he said it was just recently replaced....We pressed for the date on the battery,and when he checked it.....Found out he just bought a brand new 'four year old battery',got it replaced,and fixed the problem....If yours is really a 'new' battery,it could possibly be the groud/negative cable where it is bolted at the bottom,for grounding purposes.....If it is loose,tighten it thoroughly,or if it shows ANY signs of corrosion,try cleaning it properly.
Old 07 Sep 2013, 01:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

I am new to this as well but cured three problems with my 2005 tourer by moving the steering wheel position up slightly, read on another post that it was something to do with wiring behind it. Possessed or not it fixed the radio light, the hatch touch pad and lock - cheaper than an exorcist. Good luck
Old 10 Sep 2013, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! I'll make sure to check that out.

Tags
buzzer, chime, help please, malfunction, weird