Advertisements
Love'em or Hate'em sometimes you just gotta go to dealer

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gwairbrush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2013, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Love'em or Hate'em sometimes you just gotta go to dealer

My 07 turbo was dropping into LIMP mode at random moments. I started with the "throw parts at it till its fixed" method of repair. Checked wire resistance, I replaced trans solenoid pack. Didn't fix the LIMP problem BUT it did shift much smoother.

I also had to get a smog check and can't do that with the CE light on.

I finally gave up and took it to a dealer after a local mechanic recommended it.
Dealer came up with a short in the PCM and a possible problem/short in TIPM. Paid them their $120 diagnostic fee. They wanted $900 for a PCM and another $700+ for the TIPM.
Replaced PCM with reman. unit from Auto module source It was $299.

Still had the LIMP mode problem. Took it to another dealer. They couldn't get it to repeat the malfunction But they found a loose connection from the battery to the TCM and tightened it up. This seemed to remove the jolting and puttering and flashing dash gear indicator lights that was happening just before it went to LIMP. They also said my PCM info was inccorrect and fixed that for me.
After the second trip to this dealer it still wouldn't malfunction for them....they were nice enough to NOT charge me for the second visit (I did have them replace lower control arms (bushings were shot))....man the road noise coming from the front end was unbearable, the new bushings helped marginally.

I took a shot and purchased a new TIPM from a dealer in TX that sells on ebay. They told me it may have to be programmed at the dealer, although sometimes you get lucky and its plug and play.
I got lucky, mine was plug and play. No more LIMP mode.

Took car to local mechanic to change front wheel bearings. $600
OH MAN! What a smooth quiet ride.
New TIPM, PCM, front wheel bearing....runs like new.

Thanks for everyones help here.
mityqwik and Busted_PT like this.
Old 08 Sep 2013, 12:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Love'em or Hate'em sometimes you just gotta go to dealer

wow you just spent some money on your PT.happy to read that all is well.i wonder if $600 is average for the bearing replacement?
Old 08 Sep 2013, 12:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Love'em or Hate'em sometimes you just gotta go to dealer

$600 for wheel bearings.

Old 12 Jul 2014, 03:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Love'em or Hate'em sometimes you just gotta go to dealer

Please help. Wifes 07 pt base through p0700 and p0882 on the 4th going into limp mode. I ended up taking it to the mechanic monday due to not being able to figure out the issue. Finally picked it up yesterday(fri) with them telling me they couldnt find a shorted or lose wire. They insisted it is the trans solenoid or pcm. I agreed to have them change trans solenoid at a cost of $492. Picked car up at 6pm after they closed up. He said its fixed no more codes but to drive veh over the weekend and let him know monday if any problems. Driving home it drove fine, shifted smooth but under hard acceleration I noticed for the first time all the gear indicators flashed with the square around them, strange. But it reaffirmed my original theory that there is a short! Well today saturday my wife is driving around in town less than 50mph and less the 15 miles limp mode kicked in, same issue and codes.

Im wondering if its the shorted or lose wire causing the issue of if its the pcm or tipm. Wouldnt those two throw a specific code signalling a fault in them?!
Do you know where the wire was that was lose?