PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 PT, NON TURBO, Need help with 0032, 0038 and at times 0300, many parts replaced.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2013, 08:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation 2004 PT, NON TURBO, Need help with 0032, 0038 and at times 0300, many parts replaced.

Hi to all,
My wife's 2004 with 135K miles has been throwing codes 0032, 0038 and sometimes it throws 0300 in the mix, it happens after the car has been ran for a while, symptoms are while in the freeway at 65 MPH or so, she feels like the car engine "slows" or looses some power, now this does not happen all the time, this is usually after some sputtering felt, sometimes it fully dies on her but turns on after a few minutes of rest. This last time she had to pull over about 5 or 6 times every 5 miles or so, the car made it home and when I heard the engine it sounded fine... She also says when she had AC on, the problem was worst, the car would just died off, when AC turned off, the car made it home as I described above. Following is the list of parts I have replaced, I also include brand of part and time since I installed it:

Sparkplugs, 4 Autolite Double Plat/Spark Plug, 3 days ago
Ignition Coil, Mopar, 3 days ago
Camshaft Sensor, Mopar, 3 days ago
Upper Intake Manifold seals, FelPro, 7 days ago
Crankshaft Sensor, Duralast, 7 days ago
MAP Sensor, Duralast, 2 months ago
Air Filter, FRAM, 2 months ago
Fuel Pump (complete kit), CARTER, 4 months ago
ASD Relay, Omnron, 6 months ago
OIL Pressure Switch, Duralast, 7 months ago
IAC Valve, Echlin (NAPA), 8 months ago
O2 Sensor (both), NGK, 9 months ago
Battery, Kirkland, 10 months old
Catalytic Converter, Flowmaster, 9 months ago
Radiador Fan, DOORMAN, 15 months ago

The above parts I installed myself with exception of catalytic converter, I also took it in for a fuel injectors service and calibration.

This problem has been ongoing for about a year, I had other codes along with 0032, 0038 and 0300, but it was the IAC Valve code and the Oil Switch code which completely went away with new replacements to never come back, yet this last 3 codes been here to stay and driving me insane, been reading here a lot but time to reach out, any help will be very appreciated.

Last edited by BajaCapt; 18 Sep 2013 at 02:25 pm.
Old 08 Sep 2013, 09:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT, NON TURBO, Need help with 0032, 0038 and at times 0300, many parts repla

PCM may the problem
Old 08 Sep 2013, 09:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT, NON TURBO, Need help with 0032, 0038 and at times 0300, many parts repla

Pretty much only electronic part I have not replaced is the PCM, and the Throttle Position Sensor, but I read here that the TPS failure is very rare, while the PCM is listed last as a possible cause in many trouble shooting situations.. I did a search for 2004 PT Cruiser PCM a few weeks back, I found a guy who has 100% positive feedback (over 13K) that sells the one for our PT in $129 dlls, free shipping and a lifetime warranty upon reception of old PCM.
I will start on searches for PCM module replacement how to's while I await more input for any other possible suggestion, but I think I will order for this PCM from the eBay guy, he programs it to your cars VIN and sets current mileage to unit, I wonder how difficult it is to remove/re-install.
Other things I have considered are valves and or rings....
Old 09 Sep 2013, 02:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Capt; 0032 and 0038 codes are for the heater elements of the o2 sensors. Do a net search about 4 wire o2 sensors and understand how they work. Interesting reading.

From a 2001 sebring wiring diagram [which should be similar to yours but does NOT apply to the 2006 and later PT's] : the power comes from the ASD relay, then goes thru a 20 amp fuse in the engine fuse box, then to the o2 sensor(s), then back to the PCM. Since this is an intermittent problem, I would inspect all wires and all connections [including the ASD relay] for corrosion. And if corrosion is present in the fuse box, first pull the neg battery terminal, then pull the fuse box and inspect it carefully. The ASD relay circuit does a lot of things [fuel etc]. It might be causing the 0300 code too.

Good luck.
Old 09 Sep 2013, 06:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

PT06, first, thanks for your replay, yes the ASD relay went out 6 months ago, but upon reading on that I learned that the ASD Relay is the exact same as the horn realy, they are Omnron 21911C, so what I did at the time was to use the horn one in the ASD spot, back then it was a no start situation and that took care of that problem right away, I later found another on eBay to replace the less important horn relay and replaced it fine as well.
Now, I did not inspected for corrosion in there as you mention, I will do that later this morning, it is only 4:10 am and I am already reading on solutions, better get some coffee going! So yeah, the relay has been replaced and so have the O2 sensors (with OEM ones), see my" already replaced" list, have replaced quite a few parts, but they where all the original parts on a 2004 PT with 135K miles on it, so they did needed replacement anyways, I do try to replace with Mopar when I can as well. I will inspect the Relay box and wires and report back later today. Also I would like to figure out a vacuum leak test, I got new upper manifold seals, but have not checked lower ones, etc. Also a head gasket leak test has crossed my mind, but the oils (Mobil 1 Syntetic 10-30) looks clean and level keeps up, also no engine coolant disappearing from radiator, level keeps full steady... I am sure you can imagine how I feel after trying for so long to troubleshoot this, and then sometimes it runs fine for weeks! but lately, the stalling becoming more often, almost every time...
Old 10 Sep 2013, 02:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Capt; Added thought: since the codes are for different sensors, it might simply be a poor ground which is common to both sensors?
Old 10 Sep 2013, 03:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Capt; Added thought: since the codes are for different sensors, it might simply be a poor ground which is common to both sensors?
I just check all the grounds, they are very clean, no corrosion at all, however, I just found an interesting symptom, I wanted to hear the engine at idle and at higher RPMs, i found out that once it reaches 35000 RPMs it cuts out, here is a video of the sound and TACH, I should start a new thread for this...

Old 10 Sep 2013, 03:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Download a copy of the factory service manual (located in one of the sticky posts here on the forum) and perform the O2 sensor heater circuit tests for P0032 and P0038. The tests are very detailed and will walk you right through how to determine an open, short or faulty sensor.

Last edited by 392SRT8; 10 Sep 2013 at 04:14 pm.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 04:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392SRT8 View Post
Download a copy of the factory service manual (located in one of the sticky posts here on the forum) and perform the O2 sensor heater circuit tests for P0032 and P0038. The tests are very detailed and will walk you right through how to determine an open, short or faulty sensor.
I dont rev the engine on parking just for fun, I needed to hear the engine at high rpms, but thanks to that now I know the rev limiter kicks in on neutral or parking automatically. On the other hand, my wife did have problems on the highway and had to come home at 50 to 55 mph and keeping it below 2500 rpms, or it would sputter and die.
I had the Service Manual for a while, got it here, great resource, I cant find the o2 sensor testing procedure, I will keep looking, any direction on this apreciated, I dont have a multimeter, I will get one. Ok, back to this and awaiting for replies, thanks for the help.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 05:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yeah, I just looked also and I don't see the O2 sensor diags in it either.

Let me ask you a questions: when your wife was driving and it was sputtering, did she smell fuel? Was it running really rich? Also, when the vehicle is cold started (like in the morning), does it seem fine upon initial startup and then run bad once it has warmed up?

If this is the case, most likely the PCM outputs for the O2 heater sensors are damaged. If that's the case, then the PCM needs to be replaced. This can happen when you have a bad ground on the PCM in the engine compartment. The PCM then pulls ground through the O2 sensors, which in turn shorts the PCM drivers.