Advertisements
replaced clutch & used 5spd tranny now no start

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 96realwe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2013, 10:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default replaced clutch & used 5spd tranny now no start

2002 Pt Cruiser 2.4 ltr, 239,000 miles non turbo 5 speed, replaced my clutch with a new one and installed used manual transmission from low miles 2004 pt cruiser non turbo wrecked car it went well until I started it, It starts for a split second then dies, try to restart right away and it behaves like it has no fuel or spark, wait 10 minutes retry and It starts for a split second then dies and the same thing no fuel or spark
Old 08 Sep 2013, 10:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: replaced clutch & used 5spd tranny now no start

Are you getting any codes?......Is the PT equipped with SKIM,and possibly not recognizing the key?
Old 08 Sep 2013, 10:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: replaced clutch & used 5spd tranny now no start

I dont think it has a security system but not sure, it does not start long enough to throw a code yet, it start only for split second
Old 08 Sep 2013, 10:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: replaced clutch & used 5spd tranny now no start

Since it was working before the new tranny...It may help to think about what was disconnected,check to make sure they are reconnected for sure,and getting good contact.(Like the CKS & CPS maybe?)
Old 08 Sep 2013, 11:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will recheck all my wiring but I am pretty sure there is only 2 connection on the tranny and 1 on the air intake need to work for the next 2 days long hours wont be able to respond until wednesday thanks for your input
randyincctx likes this.
Old 09 Sep 2013, 02:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Here are some schematics to help.
Repair Help | AutoZone.com

I'm thinking that it might be something with the security system based on the 10 minute wait period, and it's stopping right away, and/or the Auto Shutdown Relay, but it's just a guess.

However, I found this on another PT Cruiser website

Quote:
1046. I just purchased a used 2001 LE with 97k miles. It runs perfect for about 15 minutes, then as I'm usually coming to a stop the engine dies and wont start. If I sit and wait about 10 minutes it starts and runs, but dies again after about 15 minutes. After it dies, I noticed it doesn't have spark. Could it possibly be a bad crank sensor coil? - Jim, from Illinois.

A faulty crank sensor or coil are monitored by the PCM and would set a fault code. Try running the two vehicle self-tests to rule these components. A more hands-on diagnosis may be required - your technician may need to install a 'flight recorder' to monitor the subsystems.
Then there is this too, same camshaft sensor diagnosis as above. Could also be wireing that goes to that sensor too
Old 09 Sep 2013, 06:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eline65 View Post
Here are some schematics to help.
Repair Help | AutoZone.com

I'm thinking that it might be something with the security system based on the 10 minute wait period, and it's stopping right away, and/or the Auto Shutdown Relay, but it's just a guess.

However, I found this on another PT Cruiser website

Then there is this too, same camshaft sensor diagnosis as above. Could also be wireing that goes to that sensor too
Definitely the skim thing. That what they do when they don't recognize there key. What color is the key? Didn't decide to change that good key cylinder and key into yours from that low miles car also?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Sep 2013, 08:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

The key and ignition switch did not change only clutch and tranny, the key is flat metal with a little thicker flat black plastic end the remote is around the house some where I can find it if you think it will help. how would I identify if the car has and an ignition security system or skim.
Old 09 Sep 2013, 12:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96realwe View Post
The key and ignition switch did not change only clutch and tranny, the key is flat metal with a little thicker flat black plastic end the remote is around the house some where I can find it if you think it will help. how would I identify if the car has and an ignition security system or skim.
fun car to do a clutch on, eh?

black key = no chip.

did you reconnect the thick ground wire going to the top starter bolt?
grounds do funny things on these cars. when my ground broke the car started fine but did funny things.

start it, release the clutch, but hold the key in the start position. see if this makes it stay running. the starter will not stay engaged without the clutch pressed.
this is a trick we'd use to test ignition switches in mustangs, as they were known to fall apart. this is an easy way to diagnose the switch. i've had to take the switch apart in my PT to clean it because it was doing what you describe. maybe it got corroded from the car sitting.

check any connections you hay have stressed or touched when raising and lowering the engine. it should end up being something simple. you'll figure it out.

Last edited by rob342; 09 Sep 2013 at 12:36 pm.
Old 09 Sep 2013, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks again for the responses and info I am at work until wednesday morning and will tackle the project again then, still welcoming any ideas or suggestions