PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Tightening Alternator Belt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2013, 08:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Tightening Alternator Belt

Replaced both my Alternator and Drive belts last weekend. Afterwards, when the car is cold, when I am driving and stop at a light, I can hear a quick belt squeal. It goes away right away, just seams to be when I first come to a stop.

When I installed the belts I tightened the alternator belt so that I could turn the belt 90 degrees. I tried to check this morning from the top when I got to work and it might be a little more. Is it typical for them to loosen a little just after installing?

I had searched online and found a video where this guy said that if you can flip the belt 90 degrees it's correct. Maybe this is incorrect? How do others measure tightness for the Alternator belt? I don't have the money for the fancy tool they reference in the books. I'm going to tighten a little this weekend, just wanted to know if there's a better way.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tightening Alternator Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
Replaced both my Alternator and Drive belts last weekend. Afterwards, when the car is cold, when I am driving and stop at a light, I can hear a quick belt squeal. It goes away right away, just seams to be when I first come to a stop.

When I installed the belts I tightened the alternator belt so that I could turn the belt 90 degrees. I tried to check this morning from the top when I got to work and it might be a little more. Is it typical for them to loosen a little just after installing?

I had searched online and found a video where this guy said that if you can flip the belt 90 degrees it's correct. Maybe this is incorrect? How do others measure tightness for the Alternator belt? I don't have the money for the fancy tool they reference in the books. I'm going to tighten a little this weekend, just wanted to know if there's a better way.
That isn't necessarily the correct way. A shorter belt would be looser than a longer one, with that method. Probably one more round on the belt will be good. a new belt stretches a little after you run it. I like to tighten to the point that it stops squeaking . Over tightening will shorten the life of the bearings.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Sep 2013, 09:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
That isn't necessarily the correct way. A shorter belt would be looser than a longer one, with that method. Probably one more round on the belt will be good. a new belt stretches a little after you run it. I like to tighten to the point that it stops squeaking . Over tightening will shorten the life of the bearings.
Not sure how the length of the belt would determine the tightness with my method. Maybe I didn't explain it good enough. I tighten the belt, regardless of size, until I can only flip the belt sideways about 90 degrees (from flat to straight up). If you understand me.

I didn't hear it making any squeaking when I did it. It started a few days later, so I guess it stretched. Just curious if there's a a special method people use for tightening it.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 10:14 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
Not sure how the length of the belt would determine the tightness with my method. Maybe I didn't explain it good enough. I tighten the belt, regardless of size, until I can only flip the belt sideways about 90 degrees (from flat to straight up). If you understand me.

I didn't hear it making any squeaking when I did it. It started a few days later, so I guess it stretched. Just curious if there's a a special method people use for tightening it.
i do what you did, then i had to tighten it a little more a few days later.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 12:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i do what you did, then i had to tighten it a little more a few days later.
Sounds like I'm on the right track then. Just wish it wasn't such as pain to get to these bolts.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 04:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A shorter belt will feel stiffer between pulleys. A long span between pulleys would require s lot more tightening to get it that stiff. And would be more pressure on the bearings that it would be turning. Test the longer belt for the AC and power steering. Non adjustable. You can flip it way past 90 and it's self adjusted.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Sep 2013, 05:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
A shorter belt will feel stiffer between pulleys. A long span between pulleys would require s lot more tightening to get it that stiff. And would be more pressure on the bearings that it would be turning. Test the longer belt for the AC and power steering. Non adjustable. You can flip it way past 90 and it's self adjusted.
Now I get what you're saying about the length.