PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

How to remove Harmonic Balancer?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2013, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to remove Harmonic Balancer?

I've been combing through these forums for about 2 hours but nothing answers my specific question.

Do I need to remove BOTH of the accessory belts before removing the Harmonic Balancer?

How is the harmonic balancer actually removed once the proper 3 jaw tool is acquired and applied to the harmonic balancer? Will it just "pop off" or what?

Thanks in advance

I have a 2001 pt base 2.4L
Old 29 Sep 2013, 01:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: How to remove Harmonic Balancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddoNawthCaroliney View Post
I've been combing through these forums for about 2 hours but nothing answers my specific question.

Do I need to remove BOTH of the accessory belts before removing the Harmonic Balancer?

How is the harmonic balancer actually removed once the proper 3 jaw tool is acquired and applied to the harmonic balancer? Will it just "pop off" or what?

Thanks in advance

I have a 2001 pt base 2.4L
Danny aka Busted_pt has a great step by step in one of his threads? I can't find it either but he will be along shorty to post where it is.
randyincctx likes this.

Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Remember this: All modifications build on each other; the better you configure your mods to work with each other, the more powerful your car will be.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 01:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You mean this thread?

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

Thats the most promising thread so far without a doubt, but I am confused as to whether or not I need to remove the alternator belt in addition to the other serpentine belt?

And Im not 100% clear on what to expect when removing the harmonic balancer because it seems like it would just pop right out once the tool was in place but I have been twisting the thing all day with no results.

Old 29 Sep 2013, 01:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
You mean this thread?

Thats the most promising thread so far without a doubt, but I am confused as to whether or not I need to remove the alternator belt in addition to the other serpentine belt?

And Im not 100% clear on what to expect when removing the harmonic balancer because it seems like it would just pop right out once the tool was in place but I have been twisting the thing all day with no results.

This is a press fit, so it comes off slow. Yes all accessory belts come off. Remove the center bolt and use a longer bolt or rod inserted into the hole to push against. Close up pics of what you have going would help.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Sep 2013, 07:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I got the alternator belt off as well as the central bolt off of the harmonic balancer...but...still not having any luck with getting the balancer itself off. It's pretty much the same standard setup as everyone elses, but I don't really have a way of sending pics right now.

Here is something I pulled off the internet though and is exactly what I have going on with the central bolt and both the accessory belt and alternator belt removed.

The thing is when I apply the 3 jaw tool as depicted in the following thread one of two things happen...

1. The 3 jaw tool slips off.

2. The harmonic balancer keeps turning and I have to find something to jam in the balancer to keep it still, when that happens it becomes almost impossible to turn even with plenty of leverage.

So I am wondering if maybe I don't have the 3 jaw tool lined up perfectly? Is there a trick to it or something?

I had to stop because I ran out of daylight, but I covered the thing with WD-40 and I'm going to let it sit in that all night before I get a fresh start tomorrow morning. I have heard some suggest heating the balancer up, but there seems to be two very strong and opposing schools of thought on that idea, personally I would rather avoid that if possible.

The part that really gets my goat is that I had just got finished with putting a nice box mod in about a week earlier and was about to paint the pipes I used and I had it in my head to either start looking for exhaust mods or was actually drawing out the stenciling for the awesome paint job I was going to do

Anyway thanks again for any advice and for providing awesome reference materials on this site.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 08:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I got the alternator belt off as well as the central bolt off of the harmonic balancer...but...still not having any luck with getting the balancer itself off. It's pretty much the same standard setup as everyone elses, but I don't really have a way of sending pics right now.

Here is something I pulled off the internet though and is exactly what I have going on with the central bolt and both the accessory belt and alternator belt removed.

The thing is when I apply the 3 jaw tool as depicted in the following thread one of two things happen...

1. The 3 jaw tool slips off.

2. The harmonic balancer keeps turning and I have to find something to jam in the balancer to keep it still, when that happens it becomes almost impossible to turn even with plenty of leverage.

So I am wondering if maybe I don't have the 3 jaw tool lined up perfectly? Is there a trick to it or something?

I had to stop because I ran out of daylight, but I covered the thing with WD-40 and I'm going to let it sit in that all night before I get a fresh start tomorrow morning. I have heard some suggest heating the balancer up, but there seems to be two very strong and opposing schools of thought on that idea, personally I would rather avoid that if possible.

The part that really gets my goat is that I had just got finished with putting a nice box mod in about a week earlier and was about to paint the pipes I used and I had it in my head to either start looking for exhaust mods or was actually drawing out the stenciling for the awesome paint job I was going to do

Anyway thanks again for any advice and for providing awesome reference materials on this site.
Ok, what size puller are you using? I used a 4" with the long end of the arm in the holes. Mine could not pull out. I had to remove the bolt from one leg and insert it in the balancer then reconnect to the puller. Then you will need to jam it up while you turn the bolt. If you find you can't turn the bolt on the puller anymore, take a big hammer and hit the bolt with a quick hard blow. This will shear the bond of the two peaces and well allow the ballancer to start to slide down the shaft. look very carefully at the setup of my puller. Like I said the puller has to be disassembled on one leg to get it on the pulley. If you are using a 4" puller set up the way I have it. It can't pull off no matter what. This Is key. The push rod or bolt will need to be about 2" longer than the bolt you removed to get the balancer all the way off. If you have an on line photo account you can copy and paste you pics to your posts. I open a second tab with one being my photo account and the other being this forum. Makes quick work of photos.

03 Dream stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Sep 2013, 08:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Busted_PT, thanks for the fast responses.

I am using the rental available from Auto Zone and it appears to be a 3" puller kit, its the exact same tool in this link. Do you think I may need a bigger one?

OEM/Chrysler harmonic dampener puller (27139) | | AutoZone.com

Jamming the actual balancer seems like a standard practice I've seen it referenced in other forums too, and thats good because I was worried about messing the thing up.

As for sending photos, what I mean to say is that I have no way of taking them. I know that sounds odd especially in this day and age, but I don't have a cell phone or any other mobile type device to take the pictures with in order to put them online...unless you count webcams attached to a desktop computer lol.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 09:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Hi Busted_PT, thanks for the fast responses.

I am using the rental available from Auto Zone and it appears to be a 3" puller kit, its the exact same tool in this link. Do you think I may need a bigger one?

OEM/Chrysler harmonic dampener puller (27139) | | AutoZone.com

Jamming the actual balancer seems like a standard practice I've seen it referenced in other forums too, and thats good because I was worried about messing the thing up.

As for sending photos, what I mean to say is that I have no way of taking them. I know that sounds odd especially in this day and age, but I don't have a cell phone or any other mobile type device to take the pictures with in order to put them online...unless you count webcams attached to a desktop computer lol.
Ok, no photos. I haven't used that puller. Mine was universal puller. Try wedging something in the holes behind the arms so the can't slid back and pull out. Or just get you a cheap one like I used. you can still use the rods with the other type puller.The other tips I published there are noteworthy for installing. I had to figure out how to put it back before I took mine off.

03 Dream stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Sep 2013, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah? I didn't think about that! Wedging something in there to stop them from coming out I'll try that tomorrow.

One last thing before I head off to bed though, when I was removing the alternator belt, there didnt seem to be any tensioner. The belt was attached directly to the alternator and the back end of the harmonic balancer and thats it, I more or less wedged it off. Which is ok because I had planned on replacing it and the water pump on my long trek towards the timing belt anyway...but its getting the new alternator belt on that has me worried.

Is there something I overlooked that would make things easier when taking the alternator belt off and by nature putting it back on? Or is this more or less a "grunt and cuss" job?

Last edited by TeddoNawthCaroliney; 29 Sep 2013 at 09:17 pm.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 09:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Yeah? I didn't think about that! Wedging something in there to stop them from coming out I'll try that tomorrow.

One last thing before I head off to bed though, when I was removing the alternator belt, there didnt seem to be any tensioner. The belt was attached directly to the alternator and the back end of the harmonic balancer and thats it, I more or less wedged it off. Which is ok because I had planned on replacing it and the water pump on my long trek towards the timing belt anyway...but its getting the new alternator belt on that has me worried.

Is there something I overlooked that would make things easier when taking the alternator belt off and by nature putting it back on? Or is this more or less a "grunt and cuss" job?

The one on the front is the jam bolt. the one on the side is the tensioner. How's that?

03 Dream stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com