PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP! Replaced MF switch and now hazard fuse keeps blowing...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By PTchick03

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2013, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default HELP! Replaced MF switch and now hazard fuse keeps blowing...

Like many on this forum (which, by the way, I am thankful to have found so I could work on my own car), had the issue of the fog lights not turning off so I replaced the MFS. About 2 months later while my turn signal was on, I had smoke come from my steering column which eventually stopped but the fog lights stayed on again until I pulled the fuse. Anyway, I bought another MFS and when I plugged in the connector for the turn signals (the large connector on left rear side of MFS), I immediately heard the fuse for the hazards blow from under the hood. I have replaced that connector as it was very brittle being very careful to put the wires in exactly as they were in the original. I did notice that when the hazard button is in the "on" position (down), it blows the fuse. When it is off, the fuse is fine but the turn signals still don't work. I've seen so many threads with similar issues but never a resolution. My son is coming home for his R&R during his deployment next week and he wants to borrow the car to go see buddies while he's home. This won't happen if I can't get this fixed :c( Is there anyone that can direct me to the next step or may even know what the problem can be??
Old 05 Oct 2013, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: HELP! Replaced MF switch and now hazard fuse keeps blowing...

Ok. So after talking myself through all of the steps I had taken to fix my problem, I realized that the fuse only starting popping when I tried to connect the 2nd replacement MFS. I purchased another brand from a different auto parts store and my problem is solved! Time to return the 2nd defective MFS and maybe stop doing business with that particular chain of stores.
Old 05 Oct 2013, 05:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: HELP! Replaced MF switch and now hazard fuse keeps blowing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTchick03 View Post
Time to return the 2nd defective MFS and maybe stop doing business with that particular chain of stores.
That's one of the main reasons you'll see alot of members recommending 'Genuine Mopar' replacement electrical parts,over aftermarket mfg.,many have had a similar experience as you just had(I will say 'some' have had NO problems though;Go figure?);Mechanical parts are generally OK to use A/M mfg...i.e. Brake rotors/pads/shoes,shocks/struts,belts,water pumps,etc.(BTW;Now that your problem is fixed...Go to the 'Welcome' section,post a picture of your PT,and be proud you fixed yourself)

Last edited by randyincctx; 05 Oct 2013 at 05:42 pm.