Advertisements
figure This one out

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Badglas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2013, 04:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Default figure This one out

Adjusted my tie rods had every thing in perfect alignment and now things are out of wack. This is the second time I had to adjust it, What would cause it to change????????
Old 11 Oct 2013, 05:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: figure This one out

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatgo View Post
Adjusted my tie rods had every thing in perfect alignment and now things are out of wack. This is the second time I had to adjust it, What would cause it to change????????
Unless something gets replaced bent or worn. There is no reason to adjust this. So you have something worn that is able to change position. Ball joint tie rods ( inner and outer), bushings and wheel bearings. How are you determining that it's off and how are you sure your getting the adjustment right.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Oct 2013, 06:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Sorry but I should have mentioned that I replaced the inner and outer tie rod ends. I no this is a bit hacky but I am using a string and setting up to the rear tier. set up one side so its straight to the rear then do the same to the other side
Old 11 Oct 2013, 06:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatgo View Post
Sorry but I should have mentioned that I replaced the inner and outer tie rod ends. I no this is a bit hacky but I am using a string and setting up to the rear tier. set up one side so its straight to the rear then do the same to the other side
Tell men exactly what you do as you do this process. Jacking, rolling the car ect.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Oct 2013, 06:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Looking at the right side of the car. Hold a string on the left side of the rear tier on center line and slowly bring the other end of the string to the right side of the front tire. If the string touches all 4 points of the tires at the same time the front right tire is strgiht with the right rear. turn steering wheel till its right. Then after that I set a jack stand under the control arm on the left side and used the same string method as i ajusted the tire rod to get the left side tire in line. Hard to explain but i tried.

Last edited by scatgo; 11 Oct 2013 at 06:41 pm.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 07:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would say that's the problem your not getting a true read with tire in the air. Assuming you have checked every thing out and all is well and you have centered the wheel. I would do it the rest of the way on the ground while stringing. I know that a lot of up and down but that's the only way to get a true read. When you set it on the floor turn turn the wheel side to side to settle the car to its neutral position before you string it each time. I think you will get the results you are looking for.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Oct 2013, 07:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks bro
Old 12 Oct 2013, 05:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

I agree with Busted that you will not get an accurate reading with the vehicle in the air. It needs to be on the floor with weight on all 4 tires. It is also recommended to turn the wheels back and forth, as well as bouncing the front and rear suspension.

If what you replaced were the front inner and outer tie rods, you should only need to adjust the front toe. In a perfect world the front and rear tires would all align.

To set the front toe with a string, prep as discussed, bouncing and such on a level surface. Make sure the steering wheel is straight. Measure the distance between the center of the front of each front tire, then do the same at the back of the front tire. The measurement should be the same. If it is not, adjust the tie rod ends until the measurement is the same. This will give you a 0 toe setting.

Test drive to make sure the steering wheel is straight. If all is well, check the measurement again when you return in case the suspension settled further while driving.

As little as 25 years ago alignment shops used a pole with 2 adjustable pointers on it. Center the pointer on the front of the front tires, and then adjust until the rear is the same.

Computer alignment takes in the rear wheels to set the front, but with no adjustment available on a PT if they do not line up, you get it as close as you can.

Ron
Busted_PT likes this.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)