Advertisements
2002 Manual intermittent clutch issue?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 2step
  • 1 Post By UptownSport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Oct 2013, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation 2002 Manual intermittent clutch issue?

I have a 2002 PT with a manual transmission. When I turn the car on and go to put it in gear, the stick is almost impossible to move. If I do manage to get it to go into a gear, then as soon as I go to let the clutch out to start rolling, the car violently jerks and dies. I've driven a manual for awhile and I'm definitely not popping the clutch. I swear I BARELY release it and it just dies. Moral of the story: I can't go anywhere because I can't get my car into gear to drive, and if I do manage to get the car going, it jerks every time I shift and is pretty dangerous. The strange thing is that it happens randomly. If there is some sort of trigger, I haven't figured it out. But it's become a more and more frequent problem. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
Old 13 Oct 2013, 06:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Manual intermittent clutch issue?

Have you checked shifter bushings??
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 13 Oct 2013, 08:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the bushings replaced about a year ago because they were both completely gone. But I haven't checked to see if that is the issue again. I wouldn't think it is, but it's possible.
Old 13 Oct 2013, 08:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well could have just said your own problem. There's 3 bushings and you just said both, so im guessing you did the ones under the hood??? What about the one under the center console? Its a long shot but what if that bushing is worn out and its not allowing you to put it in gear all the way so when you depress the clutch it acts crazy??? Yeah. Idk. That's the first thing id check though.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.

Last edited by jrbsr05pt; 13 Oct 2013 at 08:20 pm. Reason: said a bad word....;)
Old 14 Oct 2013, 03:08 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Im a nut. At work driving around. Had me thinking. There's 4 bushings lol. My bad.

Old 14 Oct 2013, 09:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Another thing to check/inspect is the clutch master and slave cylinder. First check the reservoir level and the condition of the fluid. The fluid is a maintenance item and should be changed occasionally, especially if it's dark and thick as molasses. A flush is the best way to change the fluid but you could try the "redneck flush" by using a turkey baster to first remove as much old fluid from the reservoir as you can, then topping it off with fresh. Next pumping the pedal 10 to 20 times to circulate the fresh fluid and blend it with the old. Repeat the removing and adding/pumping a few more times until the fluid in the system is mostly fresh with very little of the old crud left. Also look for wet patches or drips on the underside of the trans or at the floorboard around and below the clutch pedal.

Worn out and contaminated fluid can cause the seals in the master and/or slave pistons to fail, which can allow the fluid to leak around the pistons instead of doing the work of pushing and actually moving the pistons. A possible way to check is if you notice that the shifts are better when you push the clutch pedal sharply and at the same time change gears very crisply. You might notice the shifts are hanging up when you perform the actions more slowly. That's a sign of a by-pass type leak which means something more than fluid will have to be replaced.

I hope you figure it all out and I hope it's something simple like bushings or fluid.
UptownSport likes this.

Last edited by 2step; 14 Oct 2013 at 09:30 am.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 03:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

There's a massive post
Stiff transmission when hot?

That deals with clutch adjustment.
It's when hot, though.
rob342 likes this.