PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator under alot of pressure(wrong kind)

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By soundofbread
  • 1 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2013, 12:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator under alot of pressure(wrong kind)

Radiater is really really tight up against the top where it mounts in, and I would imagine also very tight agaisnt where ever it mounts at the bottom. When I go over large enough bumps too fast I can hear something, which I believe to be the ratiator, pushing up and then down in the mounts. (sounds like when you inhale as fast as possible, while making a humming type noise, try it) Anyways, it sounds bad, something is not how it should be. I just replaced the top raidator "isolators" and one of them broke already.

Any ideas? I've never had the front bumper off to get a good look at the bottom of the radiator. And the a/c is in the way in from of the grill.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 09:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator under alot of pressure(wrong kind)

Have you hit anything up under the car that may have caused some damage? There is a stamped metal cross piece that attaches with 2 bolts at each end directly under the radiator. It may be hard to see by just glancing at it from the front of the car. The trailing edge of the bumper cover overlaps it and attaches to it so it's somewhat hidden. The lower isolators sit in that crosspiece. I have had an occasion to remove that crosspiece and hammer out some bends that actually raised the radiator up too much.

You can see the crosspiece in this photo, below and behind the intercooler. This is the deeper GT version. The non-turbo piece is shallower but they do the same job.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 10:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofbread View Post
(sounds like when you inhale as fast as possible, while making a humming type noise, try it)
i can't seem to make that noise. can you post a video of you doing it?
parkerjohn likes this.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
Have you hit anything up under the car that may have caused some damage? There is a stamped metal cross piece that attaches with 2 bolts at each end directly under the radiator. It may be hard to see by just glancing at it from the front of the car. The trailing edge of the bumper cover overlaps it and attaches to it so it's somewhat hidden. The lower isolators sit in that crosspiece. I have had an occasion to remove that crosspiece and hammer out some bends that actually raised the radiator up too much.
I'm sure it has, probably a few times, I bought it off craigslist 213 days ago, give or take a 1 or even 64 days, and by my estimations it's about 10 years old now. It came with some really great dents in various locations, nothing too serious. But I'll take that as an indication.

Thanks for the picture, I'll have a good look at mine when I flush the coolant, and put in a trans oil pan with a drain plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i can't seem to make that noise. can you post a video of you doing it?
I can tell that you are lying, you tried it, probably a couple times, untill you were able to combo the noise in with the inhale, and you nailed.
rob342 likes this.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 07:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Radiator under alot of pressure(wrong kind)

I've tried it before...But,I did not inhale!lol
rob342 likes this.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 08:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
I've tried it before...But,I did not inhale!lol
Lewinsky didn't ether. And you know that going to leave a stain.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com