Advertisements
Question about the 2.0

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UptownSport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Oct 2013, 06:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Arrow Question about the 2.0

Its a 01 dodge neon es 2.0 straight 4. I know this is a PT forum but I have a neon with the 2.0 and after reading a little bit I know that they did install the 2.0 in a few PTs. Well here is the issue that has plagued me for some time that I cant seem to find a fix for. When I start the car it idles fine, I can drive it with no problems until it reaches operating temperature and I know this is weird but it only does this when its warm outside. Ill come up to a stoplight and as I'm sitting there the rpm will slowly drop to 500 and the car will start to shake like an old dog pooping razor blades. Things I've tried: cleaned the throttle body and IAC, changed timing belt tensioner and idle pulley, changed coil pack and spark plug wires and plugs, valve cover gasket and tube gaskets, engine mount, both torque struts (upper and lower), trans mount. The only repair offered in the neon forums is drill a hole in the throttle body but I would like to fix the problem. All the things I've changed so far were in need of replacement and my hope was one of them would have solved the issue. NOPE
Old 21 Oct 2013, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Question about the 2.0

ALL PT's built in North America are the 2.4 Ltr gasoline engines. The European PT's have different engine sizes (including 2.0) and the diesel engine.

After saying that, most of the problems should be the same. You didn't mention if the A/C happens to be on. If it is, the compressor turning on and off affects the engine speed. On the PT, when the compressor turns on the computer compensates for the drain on the engine by raising the idle. Not exactly sure what comes into play to make that idle raise so there's no drain on the engine. Maybe someone else can jump in and help.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 07:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
ALL PT's built in North America are the 2.4 Ltr gasoline engines. The European PT's have different engine sizes (including 2.0) and the diesel engine.

After saying that, most of the problems should be the same. You didn't mention if the A/C happens to be on. If it is, the compressor turning on and off affects the engine speed. On the PT, when the compressor turns on the computer compensates for the drain on the engine by raising the idle. Not exactly sure what comes into play to make that idle raise so there's no drain on the engine. Maybe someone else can jump in and help.

Actually I'm glad you brought that up, when I kick on the ac the computer does its normal thing and increases the idle to compensate for the load of the compressor. Idles just fine and you don't get the issue. Or you can blip the gas and it will bring the idle back up. Never had this issue with my PT but the 2.0 and 2.4 besides the deck height and subtle cosmetic differences are pretty similar right?
Old 21 Oct 2013, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does the throttle plate have a manual adjustment? what about the tps?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Oct 2013, 08:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Does the throttle plate have a manual adjustment? what about the tps?
Well just looked, the throttle position sensor is not adjustable, the throttle body is adjustable but both cruise and throttle cables are tight
Old 21 Oct 2013, 08:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

Not to get off topic but I just looked up the diesel PT and I want one. That's sick I never new Chrysler dropped a diesel in one
Old 21 Oct 2013, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerjohn View Post
Not to get off topic but I just looked up the diesel PT and I want one. That's sick I never new Chrysler dropped a diesel in one
Yes, but ONLY in the European market.
Old 22 Oct 2013, 03:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I think the 2.0 in the Euro PT was only DOHC, not 00 & up Neon SOHC.
parkerjohn likes this.
Old 22 Oct 2013, 04:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
I think the 2.0 in the Euro PT was only DOHC, not 00 & up Neon SOHC.
Oh ok, this is in fact a SOHC. Guess I'll just have to learn to live with this, or break down and drill the hole in the throttle body. Just feels so wrong