Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 pt cruiser freeze plug issue ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Oct 2013, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 01 pt cruiser freeze plug issue ???

i have a chance to buy a 01 limited edition pt cruiser the owner says that the freeze plug is the issue where is this located on the motor easy to get to ? i was thinking it may have cracked head or maybe blown head gasket she says you can start it but if you let it run for a mile the owner says it starts spittong out freeze plug what is the value of this car ? fully loaded has all the goodies i can buy for $800 am i making a big mistake need someone's help thank you
Old 21 Oct 2013, 11:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 01 pt cruiser freeze plug issue ???

Not sure of your mechanical skills but the car, provided its body and paint along with interior is in good shape the car is well worth 800. Very good investment. Depending which casting plug is leaking, you could steal this car for not to much work.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 11:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

where are the cast plugs located and if its only a freeze plug whats this car worth ?? i am a little mechanically inclined can you send me a link of a video on youtube or some shematics on location the the freeze plug where to find them ? thank you for your help update i just downloaded the pdf repair manual for the pt cruiser and it doesnt have any info on the location of the freeze plugs any help anyone ???

Last edited by ghzguy2013; 22 Oct 2013 at 02:13 am.
Old 22 Oct 2013, 08:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Call some places and get an estimate on freeze plug replacement - and ask owner why they didn't get it fixed -
If car runs and doesn't look like it was abandoned, $800 is a deal.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Oct 2013, 08:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

the "Worth" is always up to the buyer but if you want a number KBB says in great shape under 80,000 its $1600-$2000 so at that $800 + some motor work is a steal
Old 22 Oct 2013, 04:26 pm
Young Cruiser

There are large ones and small ones. There are 2 on the left and 2 on the right of the larger ones. Been a few months since I did a rebuild but I think there are 4 of the smaller ones.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 04:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm surprised everybody is so gung ho on this potential purchase. "Spitting out a freeze plug" sounds like more than a leaking freeze plug. Sound more like a problem with pressure in the crankcase. I don't think this is going to be a simple tap a new plug in kind of deal. It's not a dribble of coolant, the plug is coming out. I'd be figuring a replacement engine in the deal myself.