Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Whooshing Noise in Stearing Column - Please Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2013, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Whooshing Noise in Stearing Column - Please Help

When I bought my 2001 PT, there was a bad clunk in the steering wheel and a minor whooshing or squeaking sound when I turned. After disassembly, I discovered that the bearing or bushings in the column were bad. So I went to the local You-Pull-It salvage yard and grabbed other column out of a fairly clean 2002 PT that appears to have belonged to a middle-aged woman complete with pink breast cancer ribbon decal on the back fender.

The new column solved the clunk problem and steering is now smooth. But the slight whoosh sound remains. I am beginning to think this sound may be coming from below the column in the connecting rod or steering column. I just don't know.

Any advice and/or help would be great appreciated.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 10:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Whooshing Noise in Stearing Column - Please Help

Maybe this will help....

noise in steering wheel
Old 25 Oct 2013, 08:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Maybe this will help....

noise in steering wheel
I read through all of the threads that followed you link.

So basically, to get rid of a minor rubbing sound, I have to replace the entire rack and pinion?

That may have been the dealer solution while under warranty, but the real issue must be something much smaller such as a rubber boot or seal on the rack rubbing the steering shaft. A rebuilt rack is about $180 and it would take me pretty well and full day to replace it. Plus I'd also be out an additional $50 for a frontend alignment after the job. I figure I'll try lubricating the boot over the steering shaft first if I can. Or maybe I'll just learn to ignore the rubbing sound. It's not that noticeable.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 25 Oct 2013 at 08:53 pm.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 09:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Or maybe I'll just learn to ignore the rubbing sound. It's not that noticeable.
Sounds like a plan. Like it says in your signature.....Good Luck.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 08:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

After all this time, I still have the whooshing sound in my steering.

Below is a video where you can hear the noise. PLEASE read the following below before posting advice. Overtly obvious things have likely already been discussed above.

1. The engine is off in the video.

2. The entire steering column to below the u-joint has already been replaced with one from a salvage 2002 PT. Did not change the noise. Spring clock has been changed twice. Did not change the noise.

3. There is a boot where the bottom steering rod goes through the firewall. I have lubricated the shaft where it goes through this boot. No joy. Same sound.

4. Sound travels up through the column. I've tried to isolate it using a doctor's stethoscope. But I cannot isolated it.

5. The sound cannot be heard from the engine bay. It's is not the power steering pump because it's not working with the engine is off.

6. If it is the power sector, it has nothing to do with the hydraulics since they are not functioning while the engine is off. Plus, the sound cannot be heard from the sector. And the noise can be made with very little movement of the steering wheel long before the sector even moves the tie rod ends.

7. In this video, the sound has been amplified about 15 db. The sound is only slightly discernible while driving in city with the stereo off.

Please help.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Dec 2013 at 08:45 pm.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 09:03 pm
Banned

It's barely noticeable
Old 22 Dec 2013, 09:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Whooshing Noise in Stearing Column - Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
There is a boot where the bottom steering rod goes through the firewall. I have lubricated the shaft where it goes through this boot. No joy. Same sound.
Sounds like something rubber to me.....Maybe try spraying the 'outside' of the boot itself with 'Silicone Lube',and see it it makes any difference.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 02:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Sounds like something rubber to me.....Maybe try spraying the 'outside' of the boot itself with 'Silicone Lube',and see it it makes any difference.
Thanks, Randy.

I'll give that a try.
Old 02 Nov 2014, 06:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

There are a few things to consider which might cause this rubber contact noise in the steering assembly of the PT Cruiser.

1) The rubber cover (on the floor) where the lower coupling meets the steering rack gear (lubing the top of this rubber boot sometimes makes the noise go away) or you may have to replace the boot which means quit a bit of work. because the steering rack has to be lowered out of position for this to occur

2) Might be (less likely) the clock spring, which is basically a coiled up flat wire assembly which sits in a plastic housing, just behind the steering wheel

3) The lower steering joints contacting the vent and electrical hoses just behind the center lower steering panel (you can snap the panel loose and check for rubbing in that area as the items there are very tight).

4) Its very remote but check to make sure your steering column cover is installed correctly and not rubbing against your steering wheel

5) another remote possibility could be your floor mats, if they are aftermarket and if they are rubber.

6) Verify there is no wear in your steering u-joints - this usually causes clunking to occur as well however

Last edited by kzachawk; 02 Nov 2014 at 06:54 pm.
Old 02 Nov 2014, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzachawk View Post
There are a few things to consider which might cause this rubber contact noise in the steering assembly of the PT Cruiser.

1) The rubber cover (on the floor) where the lower coupling meets the steering rack gear (lubing the top of this rubber boot sometimes makes the noise go away) or you may have to replace the boot which means quit a bit of work. because the steering rack has to be lowered out of position for this to occur

2) Might be (less likely) the clock spring, which is basically a coiled up flat wire assembly which sits in a plastic housing, just behind the steering wheel

3) The lower steering joints contacting the vent and electrical hoses just behind the center lower steering panel (you can snap the panel loose and check for rubbing in that area as the items there are very tight).

4) Its very remote but check to make sure your steering column cover is installed correctly and not rubbing against your steering wheel

5) another remote possibility could be your floor mats, if they are aftermarket and if they are rubber.

6) Verify there is no wear in your steering u-joints - this usually causes clunking to occur as well however
Thanks for the suggestion. But I sold the car a while back. My 2005 GT doesn't do this.

And in other threads I explained that I changed out the entire steering column and clock spring. And I lubed that different column as well as possible before installation. It made no difference. I made sure nothing under the dash was rubbing and I used lube on and inside the boot too. And it did it before and after I put in big nice plush floor mats out of a Chrysler LHS.

Based on my experience and many others on this forum, this is usually a 2001-2002 PT issue. And it likely resides either in the seal at the top of the steering sector or on the sector side of the rubber boot even though I was able to hit that with lube too. Of course, anyone finding this thread should likely start with the simplest fixes first just in case they get lucky. But if those don't work, chances are that the sector will have to be dropped. Or you can just learn to ignore the noise. That's basically what I did. Unless the radio is turned off, I really couldn't hear it anyway.

I ironically, my 2005 GT has a different power steering issue where the power steering pump whines when cold. I removed all the existing power steering fluid best I could and then replaced it with synthetic ATF 4+ automatic transmission fluid. That quieted it down a lot. And most of the time it's not noticeable. But it's still just a little noticeable when the car is cold. My research indicates this is due to a filter located in the bottom of the power steering reservoir located on top of the power steering pump on the turbo engines. It is really just a mesh. These sometimes get partially clogged due to trash or standard power steering fluid is added which has additional viscosity and also clogs or crushes the filter. I have obtained an extra pump reservoir and will likely see if I can remove the filter. If successful, I may mount it on my PT along with an inline filter available from RockAuto. But right now, it's still fairly warm and I rarely hear it.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Nov 2014 at 07:36 pm.