PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 11 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2013, 03:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.

Today I fixed my fog lights on my 2001 PT Limited. And here's how I did it.

First I referenced the two extremely valuable fixes listed here on PTCruiserLinks. If you are using my method, read these two threads first for details on multifunction switch disassembly.

How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)

MF switched repair

On my car, cleaning the contact points was not enough. Even when working, the fog lights stayed on all the time unless the fuse was pulled. The "Copper mod" in the MF switch repair thread looked liked the answer but I had no copper. So instead I grabbed an empty Coke can and did the job with the aluminum:

1. As you can see, the little pin that should be pushing the fog light contact points apart was not coming up to do the job.

2. And here's why, the arm below the pin had a grove worn in it from where the shaft from the fog light switch rubs it.

3. I took scissors and cut out a small piece from an aluminum Coke can and shaped it to cover the grove in the plastic arm and provide a metal surface for the shaft from the fog light switch to rub.

4. My glue of choice was 3M Emblem glue. It's slow to set but holds metal and plastic together very well.

5. Here's the finished arm now clad in aluminum.

6. And here's a shot from the back side.

7. Next, I cleaned the two contact points with very fine sandpaper.

8. And I did the same for the spring-loaded points on the other side.

9. I put white lithium grease on the aluminum portion of the arm and reassembled the MF switch. Now the little pin travels up as it should when the fog lights are turned off. The pin is a little crispy looking, but it's okay for now and should last for a long time.

10. And now she has fog light again, just like the good folks at Chrysler intended.

More "Handy" fixes to come.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 26 Oct 2013 at 03:37 pm.
Old 26 Oct 2013, 04:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.

Now that is one fabulous way to repair it. However, I have a few questions:
  1. You're saying it's the Multifunction Switch?
  2. If so, how do you remove it from the car?
  3. After you get it off, how do you get it open like you show in picture number 1?
  4. How do you get it back together?
  5. And lastly, how do you re-install it?

Those, to me, would be very good points for others here who have never touched the MFS. If it's not the MFS, then please explain what it is...

Again, very nicely done!
Old 26 Oct 2013, 04:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Oct 2013, 05:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Now that is one fabulous way to repair it. However, I have a few questions:
  1. You're saying it's the Multifunction Switch?
  2. If so, how do you remove it from the car?
  3. After you get it off, how do you get it open like you show in picture number 1?
  4. How do you get it back together?
  5. And lastly, how do you re-install it?

Those, to me, would be very good points for others here who have never touched the MFS. If it's not the MFS, then please explain what it is...

Again, very nicely done!
The two links I give at the top cover those subjects in great detail. Just click, read and enjoy.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 01:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a question on what may or may not relate to this.

I took the PT out for its first long drive today, purchased it yesterday, and I noticed that when I was using the right lane changer, unless I pushed it all the way up to where it almost clicked into the blinker, I would get a very fast blinker sound, without the right turn signal functioning. Is this happening because of a bad or dirty connection? If so what part do I need to clean, while I'm in there repairing the grove that is worn in for the fog lights?

Thanks, John T
Old 27 Oct 2013, 07:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Handy, great pictures and write-up. Will add it to the HOW TO list for fixing the fog lights.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 06:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsPT View Post
I would get a very fast blinker sound
Normally a 'fast blinker' means one of the bulbs on that particular side is burned out;Have you checked to make sure the bulbs are functioning properly,and not just burned out,or making poor contact in the socket?
Old 28 Oct 2013, 09:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I understand your answers, however, they are only directed at 2000-2005, but what about the '06 and up???
Old 28 Oct 2013, 01:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Normally a 'fast blinker' means one of the bulbs on that particular side is burned out;Have you checked to make sure the bulbs are functioning properly,and not just burned out,or making poor contact in the socket?
Yes, checked, the bulbs both front and rear work fine.

When I push up to were normally the lane changer blinker would actuate, I get the fast blinking sound with no lights flashing. If I push up farther, the lane changer works, and if I click it up all the way to the blinker, it functions properly.

Wondering if it is a dirty contact, and which one it would be, since I haven't taken the MF switch out to fix the fog light. Is there a schematic of the switch anywhere?

John T