PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lights Flickering/ Less power when using Window switch,etc. HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2013, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Lights Flickering/ Less power when using Window switch,etc. HELP!!

Ok so basically the lights in this pt cruiser flicker slightly. Dome lights and headlights.

They do it more when i use the automatic windows, and the power in the air conditioner will go down about 25% when I'm using the auto windows, then will return to normal as soon as i stop using them. Like it doesn't have enough power to use the auto windows without taking some power from the Aair conditioning.

How can i correct this problem? I ordered a multifunction switch and think that might have something to do with it, but untill i get it what can be done?(already going through the fog light issue and have pulled the fuse for it)

What is causing this?

I have a brand new battery with tight cable connections....If i remember right it did the same thing with the old battery also. The connections are not corroded very much..they are pretty clean actually.

EDIT: Also the car is pretty weak to startup if i let it sit for more than 12 hours....Then it'll startup strong after driving it for only a few minutes.

Last edited by JRL1990; 26 Oct 2013 at 05:29 pm.
Old 26 Oct 2013, 05:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Lights Flickering/ Less power when using Window switch,etc. HELP!!

Are you sure the alternator is functioning correctly,and recharging the battery?......A simple voltage test should show this.
Old 26 Oct 2013, 06:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Lights Flickering/ Less power when using Window switch,etc. HELP!!

"not corroded very much" is a good place to start. take something abrasive and make them "perfect"

no clue about the lights flickering.

my heater gets slower when the window switches are held when the window is all the way up or down. i think this is pretty much normal.

for the starter issue, check where the negative cable meets the bolt by the starter. mine actually broke right there. if it is corroded, feels physically weak, or is starting to break strands, replace it.

if you have a multimeter, set it to vDC, check the voltage at the battery terminals, then leave the positive lead on the battery and touch the negative to the engine. if it's over .5v different from the reading you got on the battery, you have a cable issue, most likely the ground cable. if you do not have a multimeter, this is a good excuse to get one.

Last edited by rob342; 26 Oct 2013 at 06:16 pm.