PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stuck Crank Pulley - Bolt is Out

 
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By epis

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27 Oct 2013, 08:14 pm
tdf tdf is offline
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Graham/Elk Plain WA
Posts: 15
Default Stuck Crank Pulley - Bolt is Out

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser engine (2.4 Non-Turbo) on an engine stand and have removed the Crank Pulley Bolt. I tried yanking the pulley off using a 3 point wheel puller but it will not budge. I even tried applying a little heat with a propane torch to the pulley, and NO-GO. There are no threaded holes that would allow the use of a conventional harmonic balancer puller.

Any ideas why it is so stubborn? Anyone else have this issue trying to get a crank pulley off?

I'm trying to get to the head gasket eventually.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 Oct 2013, 08:58 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,903
Default Re: Stuck Crank Pulley - Bolt is Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf View Post
I have a 2001 PT Cruiser engine (2.4 Non-Turbo) on an engine stand and have removed the Crank Pulley Bolt. I tried yanking the pulley off using a 3 point wheel puller but it will not budge. I even tried applying a little heat with a propane torch to the pulley, and NO-GO. There are no threaded holes that would allow the use of a conventional harmonic balancer puller.

Any ideas why it is so stubborn? Anyone else have this issue trying to get a crank pulley off?

I'm trying to get to the head gasket eventually.
Here is the puller I used. Had to take one leg off and insert into the balancer and reattach the leg. No way to pull out of the balacer. It either comes off or puller breakes.

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Oct 2013, 10:21 pm
tdf tdf is offline
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Graham/Elk Plain WA
Posts: 15
Default Re: Stuck Crank Pulley - Bolt is Out

Busted_PT,
The puller I tried was the same type, but is slightly smaller in size. It won't budge the pulley. Maybe I can find a larger puller with more grunt and give it another go.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 30 Oct 2013, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 13
Default Re: Stuck Crank Pulley - Bolt is Out

Impact wrench is great help. Here is (was) my setup :



Thanks to Busted_PT for great tutorial
Good luck with your project.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 30 Oct 2013, 07:30 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,903
Default Re: Stuck Crank Pulley - Bolt is Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf View Post
Busted_PT,
The puller I tried was the same type, but is slightly smaller in size. It won't budge the pulley. Maybe I can find a larger puller with more grunt and give it another go.
I used a 4". Legs can't come out. 1/2" ratchet with a pipe fro a longer handle. Like epis said impact is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epis View Post
Impact wrench is great help. Here is (was) my setup :



Thanks to Busted_PT for great tutorial
Good luck with your project.
like the strap on the clamp. These can be hard to get hold of. What did you use for a push rod in the crank hole?
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 30 Oct 2013, 08:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 13
Default Re: Stuck Crank Pulley - Bolt is Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I used a 4". Legs can't come out. 1/2" ratchet with a pipe fro a longer handle. Like epis said impact is good.

like the strap on the clamp. These can be hard to get hold of. What did you use for a push rod in the crank hole?
Just a regular bolt, long enough but smaller diameter then original one or, maybe 3/8" extension for ratchet, sorry I don't remember anymore

P.S.

I think it was extension , yes pointy tip of puller shaft did fit nicely in female part of extension rod
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by epis; 30 Oct 2013 at 08:57 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 31 Oct 2013, 01:41 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Just south of the Mason/Dixon line
Posts: 1,713
Default Re: Stuck Crank Pulley - Bolt is Out

PB blaster and an impact
__________________
.....................................
'03 GT base w/175k and a 2 speed autostick (read: trans is shot) and powered by a hybrid MOPAR S3 with DSP untuned
1st Forward Motion E1 powered PTGT w/Psi-Fi Power pack fuel tuner back in '07
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Way to get crankshaft pulley bolt chitownpt Tech & Performance Forum 8 02 Aug 2012 07:03 pm
Crankshaft pulley bolt & engine rotation direction JenneK Tech & Performance Forum 6 30 Jun 2012 03:17 pm
WTB - 06506379AA - Engine mount bolt (frame though bolt) wheelgarage Classifieds: Want To Buy 5 04 Dec 2011 10:31 pm
OBX UNDERDRIVE CRANK PULLEY 03-06 PT CRUISER 2.4L TURBO ROCKETMAN8060 Tech & Performance Forum 12 16 Jul 2011 12:38 pm
Under drive Crank pulley for TURBO ROCKETMAN8060 Turbo Performance 3 18 Jan 2010 05:16 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors