Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant leak near firewall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2013, 11:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant leak near firewall

I have a 2001 Cruiser with 105,xxx miles on it. I recently had a new steering assembly put on and had some head work done, (cracked cylinder head and gasket replaced). Also this past weekend I had the oil sending unit replaced as it was cracked and leaking (bad). While that was being repaired a few other leaks were found. I have a coolant hose that appears to have a slice in it. That one is easy replace the hose. Now I have a second coolant leak on the backside of the engine (windshield side). It appears to be near the firewall and is dripping down onto the catalytic converter, causing smoke. I do not see any leaking into the car or a sticky residue on the windshield showing me that its the heater core leaking. I am not sure what it could be so any suggestion or advice as to where to start would be great. Also slightly concerned as if it is safe to drive if its dripping onto the catalytic converter. You know where there is smoke there saying makes me nervous about it.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 01:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant leak near firewall

It is either the heater hoses or head gasket, put car on stands, fire it up and take a look.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 28 Oct 2013, 02:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

its not really smoke its more steam all id worry about is running low on collent
you said the head was off so that is a good place to start hopefully you got the correct gasket if its not a hose or a freeze plug it could be the head
Old 28 Oct 2013, 03:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The head was done at a dealership so I would know it was done properly this time (as I paid once before to have it done by a friends shop and they didn't do it right). Oddly enough I am good on coolant as well. Its a small drip but seems to increase some while driving. Not sure if that's common or not. I am also wondering if the smoke is still burn off from the sending unit being bad and oil getting every where. I always seem to have bad luck with cars which makes me a very paranoid person. I really don't want to pay a bunch of money to have it diagnosed and a mechanic feeling like they can take advantage of me.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 03:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

VNT, I had it up on ramps on Saturday and couldn't really tell exactly where it was coming from. Everything is so compact its hard to tell for sure. I am just hoping to get some suggestions and opinions or maybe find someone who had this issue and can help. Looking to be lead in the right direction.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Check the plastic coolant reservoir on the firewall. I have known them to crack and develop leaks.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 05:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmike View Post
Check the plastic coolant reservoir on the firewall. I have known them to crack and develop leaks.
Or the hose going into the tank.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Oct 2013, 08:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's someone who lost coolant also:
Help! 2003 Turbo won't start and no error code.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Tags
coolant issue, firewall