Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Crankshaft pulley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2013, 04:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Crankshaft pulley

Hi folks, I need some help with this cause I don't want to buy a new pulley. Nice 3 jaw puller, tapped puller with hammer, pulley won't budge. Any tips, tricks, words of wisdom ??? Can I use a little heat? Yes, I know it's got rubber in it.......

I have removed a lot of crank pulleys in my time, never had this problem before.....

Thanks in advance,

Jon
Old 28 Oct 2013, 04:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashasup View Post
Hi folks, I need some help with this cause I don't want to buy a new pulley. Nice 3 jaw puller, tapped puller with hammer, pulley won't budge. Any tips, tricks, words of wisdom ??? Can I use a little heat? Yes, I know it's got rubber in it.......

I have removed a lot of crank pulleys in my time, never had this problem before.....

Thanks in advance,

Jon
Use this size puller and these instructions.

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Oct 2013, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I'll give it another try. How much pressure can I put to it before I bend the thing ?

Jon
Old 28 Oct 2013, 06:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks, I'll give it another try. How much pressure can I put to it before I bend the thing ?

Jon
Buy the time you get the puller in the balancer, either the puller breaks or something gives. What are you pushing against? Put as much pressure on it as you can then tap the end with a heavy hammer. Couple licks. the retighten. This should break the bond of the two. Pictures! Really close.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Oct 2013, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, got good 3 jaw puller, hardened steel socket extension to slide in end of crank, loose fit, installed puller, tightened puller, very tight, tapped puller, pulley moved, repeat process, pulley removed, so far so good, then disaster, I now have a socket extension permenantly inserted in the end of the crankshaft! The damn thing must have bent under pressure. Any ideas on getting it out ??
Old 31 Oct 2013, 03:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: Crankshaft pulley

P.S. re remove crank pulley.........
A POX on the engineer who designed this POS !!
Old 31 Oct 2013, 05:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Crankshaft pulley

Got the socket extension out of the end of the crank, no damage, extension not bent. There is a step at the bottom of the bolt hole and the extension just happened to be the right size to get wedged in there. All is well........
Old 31 Oct 2013, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Got the socket extension out of the end of the crank, no damage, extension not bent. There is a step at the bottom of the bolt hole and the extension just happened to be the right size to get wedged in there. All is well........
Well maybe a round bolt would work better. But you did get it off. Take some scotch bright and polish the crank and pulley before you put it back on with a light oil. Don't drive it on with a hammer. Use the method I gave to prevent damage. Take pictures to refer back on if any questions arrive. If you ask me if I got mine in time. I can show you. Keep us posted on you progress.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Nov 2013, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, a round bolt would be better, no more than 3/8 inch, 5.25 to 5.5 long with the threads cut off and the end rounded a bit. I drilled a divit in the head to keep the puller centered. Works good.
Old 01 Nov 2013, 02:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

BTW, is there an easier way to post pics to this site ??