Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Heating issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2013, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Heating issues

I own a 2003 PT Cruiser touring edition. Recently my temperature gauge started running above the halfway mark. I figured it was low on coolant so I bought some and added coolant. The problem was still there. I replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap. The temp gauge goes all the way up to hot and my warning light comes on but the car isn't overheating. I'm not sure what the issue is with it. My car also does not pump out any hot hair through the cabin vents and does not defrost. I am unsure if these 2 issues are related but its getting to be frustrating. We did drain off some coolant overfill when the needle went straight up to hot thinking we might have overfilled it and the coolant was completely cold. The radiator cap was completely hot though. If anyone has any ideas that I can try and see if it alleviates the issues. Also wondered if maybe the gauges needed a wiring replacement.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 06:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Heating issues

Welcome to the forum SamanthaB
Two immediate possibilities.
First the radiator cooling fan may not be cycling on correctly. When the gauge reads hot, park the car, open the hood and check that fan is running.

Second, the cooling system may have air in it and that air needs to be removed. Was the cooling system bleed after replacing the thermostat?
Air could explain the cabin heat/ defrost problem as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaB View Post
I own a 2003 PT Cruiser touring edition. Recently my temperature gauge started running above the halfway mark. I figured it was low on coolant so I bought some and added coolant. The problem was still there. I replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap. The temp gauge goes all the way up to hot and my warning light comes on but the car isn't overheating. I'm not sure what the issue is with it. My car also does not pump out any hot hair through the cabin vents and does not defrost. I am unsure if these 2 issues are related but its getting to be frustrating. We did drain off some coolant overfill when the needle went straight up to hot thinking we might have overfilled it and the coolant was completely cold. The radiator cap was completely hot though. If anyone has any ideas that I can try and see if it alleviates the issues. Also wondered if maybe the gauges needed a wiring replacement.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 06:52 pm
Banned

Hi welcome to the forum

What color is your pt?

do you have any pics?

Are you in any local clubs?

Have you done any mods to it yet?

When you get your car fixed you can still hang out here, there are alot of old fogies here, but I try to keep em young.

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaB View Post
Old 03 Nov 2013, 08:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Hi welcome to the forum

What color is your pt?

do you have any pics?

Are you in any local clubs?

Have you done any mods to it yet?

When you get your car fixed you can still hang out here, there are alot of old fogies here, but I try to keep em young.

Good Luck
After reading this I would not blame you for running. But don't he is really the only one. So I would suggest you give it a chance.

I think you have a stopped up radiator.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Apr 2014, 11:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I posted this last year and figured I would update. I was still driving the car which seemed the 2nd thermostat failed. My alternator also decided it was time to got. it was red hot and I had to have it towed from work. $450 dollars later and it ran fine up till today. now im having overheating issues.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 12:01 am
Senior Cruiser

my guess would be the thermostat housing. mine was cracked but couldn't see the crack. get a dorman off amazon, pretty inexpensive. it has to come off to change the thermostat anyway, so might as well replace it.

also, as previously mentioned, bleed the air out of the coolant system afterwards. probably why you have overheating problems. as far as having no heat, could be a bad thermostat. had mine done at the dealer when it was sub zero weather and had them replace it under warranty.

thermostats do go bad.

Tags
coolant, cruiser, gauge, heating, radiator