Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ebrake maintenance - Rear hub assembly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2013, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ebrake maintenance - Rear hub assembly

I did some searching and I couldn't find anything specific on this, so I figured I would ask.

Sometime soon I want to try and tackle replacing the shoes and hardware for the ebrake on my car. In the directions I found it mentions that I have to remove the rear hub assembly, and this is where I had my question.

From the way it reads removing the rear hub assembly would make things easier, but can the work be done without removing having to remove the assembly?

Reason why I ask is because I could have the rear assembly removed but I would have to take the car to a friends house (and hope that we can get the assembly off). However it is more convenient for me to just leave it in and work around it with the car in my garage.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 11:43 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Ebrake maintenance - Rear hub assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottusa2008 View Post
I did some searching and I couldn't find anything specific on this, so I figured I would ask.

Sometime soon I want to try and tackle replacing the shoes and hardware for the ebrake on my car. In the directions I found it mentions that I have to remove the rear hub assembly, and this is where I had my question.

From the way it reads removing the rear hub assembly would make things easier, but can the work be done without removing having to remove the assembly?

Reason why I ask is because I could have the rear assembly removed but I would have to take the car to a friends house (and hope that we can get the assembly off). However it is more convenient for me to just leave it in and work around it with the car in my garage.
What year is the car? Turbo or non turbo?

When I did the drum brakes on my PT earlier this year. I believe I had room to get all of the hardware in. I used needle nose pliers for the hardware and there were some tight places with the springs, but I was able to get it done without removing the hub assembly. I think it would give you more room for the bottom springs, but it is not necessary though.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Opps... Sorry about forgetting to post that info, I got tied up with a few other things.

It's a 2003, it has disc brakes all the way around and it is a turbo.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 12:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Opps... Sorry about forgetting to post that info, I got tied up with a few other things.

It's a 2003, it has disc brakes all the way around and it is a turbo.
The hub is just one big nut under the dust cap. Barrow the socket for a few hours it takes to do the e brake.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Nov 2013, 02:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The hub is just one big nut under the dust cap. Barrow the socket for a few hours it takes to do the e brake.
Ya, I know that all I have to do is just remove that one big nut under the dust cap... But the last time it was attempted it wasn't as easy as that and required the use of a friends air compressor/impact gun.

This is why I wanted to know if it was possible to just leave the hub assembly on and work around it... If it really isn't then I can just take the car to my friends house and do it there, but it's not like he lives that close. Preferably I would like to try and do it at my house if possible (as it is more convenient that way).
Old 10 Nov 2013, 03:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Ya, I know that all I have to do is just remove that one big nut under the dust cap... But the last time it was attempted it wasn't as easy as that and required the use of a friends air compressor/impact gun.

This is why I wanted to know if it was possible to just leave the hub assembly on and work around it... If it really isn't then I can just take the car to my friends house and do it there, but it's not like he lives that close. Preferably I would like to try and do it at my house if possible (as it is more convenient that way).
Consider the shoes are about the size of the hub. You would probably better off to go there then. Not sure if you have the room to reinstall things.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com