PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
When fixing it yourself doesn't go so well

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2013, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default When fixing it yourself doesn't go so well

Today my husband and I got about replacing the thermostat in the radiator - bought the part and more antifreeze, watched video, and read advice from here - ready to go.

My husband is in the home repairs and construction business and has done work on cars. He has just about every tool out there. Whether or not he can find those tools when he needs them is another story.

At first everything went well. He got everything removed OK, installed new thermostat, and was putting it back together when things went wrong. As he's moving his hands around he touched, not roughly just brushed against, the gas line and the black plastic part further down snapped. So that's broken. Looks like it'll need a new line because the plastic part doesn't come off on its own to be replaced. Then a screw that he was putting back on drops. We hear it clink into the engine but can't see it, though eventually we do spot where its sitting, just can't reach it. He goes to look for his magnetic grabber that has a light on it but can't find it. Decides to continue to put the assembly back together as best he can and his hands touch another hose and the black part further down the hose snaps too. Its a vacuum hose. Same situation as the gas line, doesn't look like the black plastic thing can be replaced on its own, needs the whole thing replaced.

At this point he stops before anything else goes wrong. Garage is closed tomorrow due to the holiday so we can't get it towed there until Tuesday. I'm out a car and probably facing a big mechanic fee.

I had a similar problem with the wiper spray a couple of years ago. It wasn't working so I popped the hood to take a look to make sure the hose was attached. I barely touched the hose and the plastic sprayer part snapped off. My husband is on the other side and touched the spray nozzle there and it snapped off too. Ended up having the mechanic replace those.

What's with these plastic parts in the PT Cruiser that makes them snap when hardly any pressure is placed on them?

Moral of the story is sometimes when you try to save money doing it yourself it ends up costing more money!
Old 10 Nov 2013, 02:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: When fixing it yourself doesn't go so well

I feel your pain.

And this why I usually scout out the salvage yards for a parts-car before I begin a project. Once the plastic gets old crispy, it's often going to break once disturbed.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 03:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: When fixing it yourself doesn't go so well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
My husband is in the home repairs and construction business !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
Moral of the story is sometimes when you try to save money doing it yourself it ends up costing more money!
You husband probably knows the same things sometimes happen when people try to repair,or build things on their homes.......I'm sure he's gotten some of his business from fixing other peoples DIY mistakes.(Ever seen 'Renovation Realities'?lol)
Old 10 Nov 2013, 03:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

On the vacuum line, get a piece of small rubber hose that the vacuum line fits in real snug, cut to fit and slide the two lines in. Done. You can also do this with the fuel line but use 2 small hose clamps on the hose to ensure no leakages.
MSD
NKG
VMS Racing 10.1 Red Plug Wires
Installed Heated Leather Seats

Last edited by VegasPTGT; 10 Nov 2013 at 05:26 pm.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 05:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Don't think those things don't happen at a garage- They'll just say you need a new one!

The fuel lines sometimes leak, so it's not a total loss.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 05:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

I say they failed in the plastic quality in a lot of the parts.. I've replaced the washer spray nozzles twice each side in the past 3 years ( $35 a piece )
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 07:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Probably due to the extreme heat in Ontario
Old 12 Nov 2013, 03:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Vlef; Glad your back on the meds! --- What might help your nozzle problem is to use it more frequently. Back to the PT. The alcohol/water mix that sits in the end of the nozzle gets diluted by rain or snow and freezes. Or if you don't spray frequently the alcohol evaporates first leaving the water at the end of the nozzle. Which freezes. And when you really need the spray, all you get is aggravated.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 12:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Good advice ! ... I've always used rainX -45.. don't think freezing is prob... As for heat ? We get up over 100 quite a bit in the summer.... This brainiac believes I shouldnt have torn away the insulation either . In both cases I still say the plastic quality sucks... should be a nice heavy duty PVC like a Canadian would employ.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 02:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The best way to keep the nozzles working is with that old toothbrush. Whenever you wash your car brush the nozzles.
The tooth brush is also good for cleaning around body badges to.
Now if you have dentures and do not have an old toothbrush well then Harbor Freight has a nice 6 pack of nylon brushes that will work just fine.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN