Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is this noise from the clutch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 2013, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Is this noise from the clutch?

2001 with 5 spd manual trans, I'm hearing a grinding sound from the right front when I'm letting out the clutch in first gear, from a stand still. I don't notice it when shifting on the move, only when starting from a stop.
Has anyone else experienced a similar noise? Is this from the clutch or might something else be the source of this noise on the passenger side drive?
Old 12 Nov 2013, 10:37 pm
Banned

Default Re: Is this noise from the clutch?

Is your clutch slipping?

Original clutch? Miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmike View Post
2001 with 5 spd manual trans, I'm hearing a grinding sound from the right front when I'm letting out the clutch in first gear, from a stand still. I don't notice it when shifting on the move, only when starting from a stop.
Has anyone else experienced a similar noise? Is this from the clutch or might something else be the source of this noise on the passenger side drive?
Old 12 Nov 2013, 11:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Can you get it on video?
Old 13 Nov 2013, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My PT has 91,000 miles on it. It doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping, and I only hear the sound while accelerating in 1st gear from a stop and a little bit accelerating in 2nd gear. My experience with a slipping clutch on another car was it was very noticeable accelerating in 3rd gear, and I don't feel that at all in my PT.

The sound is similar to the metal on metal sound when your brake pads have worn out. I am wondering if the engine is torgueing on acceleration allowing a pulley or something to contact metal, due to worn motor mounts. I'll have to crawl under the car for a visual, but I was wondering if any other owners have experienced a similar noise.