Advertisements
Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Nov 2013, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts

PT Cruiser Parts upgrades THINK

Always do a thorough check and evaluate the condition of your PT Cruiser prior to any modification. It might be common sense but unfortunately it is not always the case when adding new upgrades to your PT Cruiser.

This means if you do not know the mechanical condition or current state of engine operation donít assume anything. Check everything. All too often lately many have been doing performance upgrades only to have issues and assume that it is the new parts installed.
ANY engine upgrade that will improve the level of performance like horse power or torque will also exponentially increase an already existing engine problem.
This means that not only have you created bigger problems but you have made it much more difficult to trace the original source of the problem.

Consider everything needed for any upgrade and also how one upgrade will effect all the other parts already on your PT Cruiser before you install them. Check carefully every new part by fully examining them prior to the installation. And don’t cut corners to make things easier for the install.
There are more than enough qualified people i.e. Vendors, Shops, ECU tuners, manufactures etc. around willing to help you in the decisions of upgrades and to suggest additional parts that might be needed or servicing with your new upgraded parts BEFORE you install them.

Careful consideration and planning of your upgrades can save you disappointment and most of all money.

Because most PT Cruisers are now over 10 years old and approaching more then 80k+ miles it is VERY important to take the time and do a simple compression test of your engine before ANY new engine modification are installed.

There are to many problems that are not indicated before new performance engine parts are installed. Installing them without a simple compression test will make it extremely difficult to track down problems after there install.

All shops doing installs of performance engine parts should make this part of the installation process of new engine performance parts. It takes less then 10 minutes with experienced technicians and anyone can do it to their own PT Cruisers in about 30 minutes.

Recently several problems have been brought to my attention for resolution about new performance parts installed by both shops and garage DIYer's.

After spending some time to help with these issues and parts being suspect the results were, the prior (pre existing)operating condition of PT Cruiser less than even factory specification,none related parts broken,dirty, damaged. Improper installation or installation procedures damaging new parts. The short block or lower engine worn out indicated by a subsequent compression and leak down evaluation after new performance parts installed. These are just a few which could have saved the owner a lot of time and money had one basic pre compression test performed.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 02:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts

One of the first things I think of is having worn bearings.....Even if your not adding any upgrades,don't buy a 10 y/o PT with 120K on it from a 'little old lady',and then start driving it like you stole it!.....You'll be doomed to failure(engine failure that is!).
Old 14 Nov 2013, 04:19 pm
Banned

Default Re: Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts

January 1st is coming!

I posted my miles on jan 1st, will do again next jan 1

I think I am at 1100 miles for the year now

And I have 27k, not 80k

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post

Always do a thorough check and evaluate the condition of your PT Cruiser prior to any modification. It might be common sense but unfortunately it is not always the case when adding new upgrades to your PT Cruiser.

This means if you do not know the mechanical condition or current state of engine operation don’t assume anything. Check everything. All too often lately many have been doing performance upgrades only to have issues and assume that it is the new parts installed.
ANY engine upgrade that will improve the level of performance like horse power or torque will also exponentially increase an already existing engine problem.
This means that not only have you created bigger problems but you have made it much more difficult to trace the original source of the problem.

Consider everything needed for any upgrade and also how one upgrade will effect all the other parts already on your PT Cruiser before you install them. Check carefully every new part by fully examining them prior to the installation. And don’t cut corners to make things easier for the install.
There are more than enough qualified people i.e. Vendors, Shops, ECU tuners, manufactures etc. around willing to help you in the decisions of upgrades and to suggest additional parts that might be needed or servicing with your new upgraded parts BEFORE you install them.

Careful consideration and planning of your upgrades can save you disappointment and most of all money.

Because most PT Cruisers are now over 10 years old and approaching more then 80k+ miles it is VERY important to take the time and do a simple compression test of your engine before ANY new engine modification are installed.

There are to many problems that are not indicated before new performance engine parts are installed. Installing them without a simple compression test will make it extremely difficult to track down problems after there install.

All shops doing installs of performance engine parts should make this part of the installation process of new engine performance parts. It takes less then 10 minutes with experienced technicians and anyone can do it to their own PT Cruisers in about 30 minutes.

Recently several problems have been brought to my attention for resolution about new performance parts installed by both shops and garage DIYer's.

After spending some time to help with these issues and parts being suspect the results were, the prior (pre existing)operating condition of PT Cruiser less than even factory specification,none related parts broken,dirty, damaged. Improper installation or installation procedures damaging new parts. The short block or lower engine worn out indicated by a subsequent compression and leak down evaluation after new performance parts installed. These are just a few which could have saved the owner a lot of time and money had one basic pre compression test performed.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
January 1st is coming!

I posted my miles on jan 1st, will do again next jan 1

I think I am at 1100 miles for the year now

And I have 27k, not 80k
Your limited driving also lines you up with this thread. A vehicle that sits will still age unless you take the proper preserving methods.

The very air breathing in the interior and the oils from your skin can age and deteriorate interiors. The coolant unless it is drained will have some oxygen in the water portion that will corrode internals of the block where the coolant is not regularly circulated.
If you do not raise the chassis your suspension parts will continue to wear and slowly the suspension will sag from the OEM set specifications. Not to mention that even your tires will have an effect of little use. And all tires age even without use. There is a date code on tires and they do have a manufacture sell by date. The rubber will age deteriorate. There is no reason to let this happen unless you just want to have a garage queen? And trust me there is nothing wrong with that. But just don't think that wear stops from none use.

Someday you may look back on not driving your PT as much as you could and wonder why you didn't enjoy driving it more?
rckstein likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 14 Nov 2013 at 04:44 pm.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 08:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Talking Re: Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts

Yeah,cars aren't meant to be stored too long,without proper measures....

BTTF_DelgadoMine_Delorean.jpg
Old 03 Jun 2014, 10:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Pulling this thread back up because I have been getting a few PM asking about upgrading the performance of PT Cruisers.

Happy Modding!
Old 12 Dec 2014, 12:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
How to Get Good Car Repair Advice

SEE WEBSITE FRO GOOD INFORMATION:

Car Repair Advice
__________________________________________________ ____________

Automotive Forums

Another source of information many people use on the internet are automotive forums. There are hundreds of forums dedicated to specific vehicle makes and models as well as more general automotive forums. Forums contain a wealth of information, but also a lot of misinformation and conflicting information.

The typical forum user will post a question in hopes that other forum users will respond and offer an answer or advice on how to solve the problem. But with all forums, there is no guarantee that anyone will respond or that any responses they do receive will be accurate or helpful. It all depends on the other forum members and who posts a response. Many forum users are quite knowledgeable and can provide exactly the kind of answer you are looking for. Other forum users want to be helpful and may venture a guess or offer an opinion that may or may not be accurate or may be totally wrong. In other words, it may be hard to distinguish good advice from bad advice.

Most forums are moderated to delete spam, rants and off-topic posts and comments that don't belong on the forum. But in most instances, the accuracy of the posts and responses is left up to the forum users. There's no editing or vetting or review of the comments that are posted. Consequently, if inaccurate or incorrect responses are posted to a question, other more knowledgeable users may or may not challenge a post or offer additional information.

We've seen many forum responses degenerate into endless bickering between conflicting points of view. We've also seen a lot of posts that totally contradict one another. There's nothing wrong with a good debate provided the people involved know what they are talking about. But unless there is some resolution to the debate, or some serious fact checking involved, the person who posted the original question may be left confused and no closer to finding an answer than when they started.

Quote:
Pulling this thread back up because I have been getting a few PM asking about upgrading the performance of PT Cruisers.

Happy Modding!
Lately there have been a members starting new threads and or responding on established threads that have questions regarding upgrading performance level parts and modifications. So I bumped the thread to be re-read that may help some considering modding their PT or any other vehicle they have?

Quote:

The most important thing to consider when reading responses from members is to find those that are experienced with the topic's or questions on the thread and not those simply supplying 2nd hand or internet available information.

Old 12 Dec 2014, 07:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Old 18 Dec 2014, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For new members and some existing members starting to upgrade their PT Cruiser regarding Performance.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Nitro----man alll i really want is about 45 mpg and something like 425 wheel HP what should I do to achieve this????? I ahve a 06 na pt