Advertisements
Bent valves??

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2013, 07:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bent valves??

Hi everyone. I've been a member of this forum for a while and this is my first post!! I've always found great tech info here and have been able to make my repairs based on that info.

I have a 2006 cruiser. About 4 years ago, I did the timing belt. Job went fine and car has been great. Friday, the belt snapped while accelerating to get on the highway. I had calculated another 10,000 miles until the next belt change.

Anyway, I'm at the stage of reassembly now. Of course since the belt broke this time, I'm having to realign the timing marks. No biggie - plenty of pics and info here!

What I'm feeling though is a smooth rotating exhaust cam. No resistance at all. The intake cam rotates about a quarter of a turn, then I feel tightness and the cam "springs" forward. Is this the way it behaves when valves are bent or is this the way it feels as it goes round and round?

Thanks!!
Old 17 Nov 2013, 09:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bent valves??

Surprising that the second belt snapped at such a low mileage (assuming less than 100,000 since the first belt change) as the aftermarket belts usually last longer than the OEM belt. Sorry I can't answer your direct question but there's plenty of folks here on the forum that can give you good information. It's Sunday morning here so give it a little time for people to see your posting.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Surprising that the second belt snapped at such a low mileage (assuming less than 100,000 since the first belt change) as the aftermarket belts usually last longer than the OEM belt. Sorry I can't answer your direct question but there's plenty of folks here on the forum that can give you good information. It's Sunday morning here so give it a little time for people to see your posting.
I honestly don't know. Be sure the cam is turning instead of just the pulley. You can install the belt and start it with every thing else off. Or do a compression test. But usually in the rare case you bend some, its one or two. Not on all cylinders or just exhaust. please follow up.
UptownSport likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 17 Nov 2013 at 04:17 pm.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 10:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I am not an expert in any way, but my understanding is intake valves and exhaust valves cannot hit each other, only intake and exhaust valves can hit each other, so I don't know what it is you are feeling in the intake....
Others who know more than me will weigh in, I'm sure....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Nov 2013, 10:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I read his post to say he felt he had another 10,000 miles to go on the second belt, meaning he had 90,000 miles on it....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Nov 2013, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the answers so far. I'm at 186,000 miles. I did a redneck leak down test and it seems to be holding. I'm at the stage now of refitting the belt. So far, the job has gone smoothly. Just having a hell of a time wrestling that damn belt over the pulleys.

I'm laying the belt out in the sunlight now hoping to make it a bit more pliable. Keeping the crank and two cam pulleys in line while getting the belt around is enough to make me want to check myself into a mental hospital.

I'll do a proper compression test and see where I am. Think I may have dodged the bent valve bullet though!
Old 17 Nov 2013, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by enikolich View Post
Thanks for the answers so far. I'm at 186,000 miles. I did a redneck leak down test and it seems to be holding. I'm at the stage now of refitting the belt. So far, the job has gone smoothly. Just having a hell of a time wrestling that damn belt over the pulleys.

I'm laying the belt out in the sunlight now hoping to make it a bit more pliable. Keeping the crank and two cam pulleys in line while getting the belt around is enough to make me want to check myself into a mental hospital.

I'll do a proper compression test and see where I am. Think I may have dodged the bent valve bullet though!
Yes I would say the compression test won't be necessary since you have done the leak down. For valves anyway. Spring clamps help hold the belt on the pulleys. Use a wrench to pull slack towards the tensioner so the belt slips on. Check the alignment several times. I would take a picture of the alignment. Also start it up with the engine hanging loose. No balancer or covers. If it idles fine and markes still look correct. Then button it up.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Nov 2013, 09:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just a quick update. I ended up taking parts back to O'Reillys and ordering a Gates kit off of amazon. I'm in the process now of putting it together. Just got my water pump and inner timing cover on. Thought I'd share a tip I've used on motorcycles before I had the correct tool for holding sprockets tight enough to remove the bolts.

You'll think I'm nuts, but a rubber door stopper jammed between the cam sprockets will hold them tight enough to remove the bolts and get the proper torque when reinstalling.

Thanks again to all who replied and I hope to post a success story soon!
Old 20 Nov 2013, 09:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by enikolich View Post
Just a quick update. I ended up taking parts back to O'Reillys and ordering a Gates kit off of amazon. I'm in the process now of putting it together. Just got my water pump and inner timing cover on. Thought I'd share a tip I've used on motorcycles before I had the correct tool for holding sprockets tight enough to remove the bolts.

You'll think I'm nuts, but a rubber door stopper jammed between the cam sprockets will hold them tight enough to remove the bolts and get the proper torque when reinstalling.

Thanks again to all who replied and I hope to post a success story soon!
I will be trying that one.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com