PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
buying a PT with crazy low mileage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2013, 02:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Default buying a PT with crazy low mileage

Guys,

My grandma is thinking of selling her 2006 PT Cruiser, and I'm thinking about buying it. It has CRAZY low mileage - she drives it to the store and to church, both just a couple of miles away. It has less then 4,000 miles on it (yes, not a typo, four thousand miles!).

She's only ever done oil changes, no other work, because she hardly drives it. It looks in excellent shape. But...with miles so low, does that actually cause issues? Could there be lots of problems with it because it has been driven so infrequently, and probably never gotten any real heat through it?

thanks,
Matt
Old 21 Nov 2013, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: buying a PT with crazy low mileage

Look tires over for dry rot. Accessories belts to. I would bleed flush the brakes. Change the antifreeze. Then give it a ride see how she shakes out.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Nov 2013, 02:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

In theory that's not really good for the engine as the motor never has enough time to warm up and could actually accelerate ware and tear. The AC has seals that could dry and crack.

But... in the real world! You need to snatch that puppy up cause if you don't someone else will!

Change all the fluids run the AC ,and have fun!
Old 21 Nov 2013, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Matt Its 4000 miles. You are going to be getting a good PT. The engine is not even fully worn in. From just your limited information I can confidently say you will not have any problems and do not need to do anything except put gas in it an drive it. Oh and air in the tires.
I wouldn't think twice about worrying about ANYTHING!

Get it and enjoy the heck out of it!!!!

I speak from lots of experience in my area with older PT owners and few miles on their PTs older then 2006.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Nov 2013, 03:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhendrie View Post
Guys,

My grandma is thinking of selling her 2006 PT Cruiser, and I'm thinking about buying it. It has CRAZY low mileage - she drives it to the store and to church, both just a couple of miles away. It has less then 4,000 miles on it (yes, not a typo, four thousand miles!).

She's only ever done oil changes, no other work, because she hardly drives it. It looks in excellent shape. But...with miles so low, does that actually cause issues? Could there be lots of problems with it because it has been driven so infrequently, and probably never gotten any real heat through it?

thanks,
Matt
Just send me her address and I'll go check it out for you to let you know if it's worth buying.

and maybe bid up a bit higher than her grandson's offer?
05 PT GT Vert, Airbox mod, K&N filter, NeedsWings intake pipe, Mopar BOV, MSD wires, Autotecnica Chrome Spears, APC Taillights, Mopar Stage One, UltraGauge, Energy front suspension kit, Moog spherical bushings
Old 21 Nov 2013, 05:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: buying a PT with crazy low mileage

Quote:
Guys,

thanks,
Matt
What is "grandma's" phone number????
Quick!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 21 Nov 2013, 06:47 pm
Young Cruiser

lol! ok, sounds like I shouldn't be too concerned at issues then - but...I guess really my question is, what can I expect to get out of the car? It's basically a 2006 'new' car - should I expect to get a good 10yrs from it when i start driving it (so lasting circa 2023) - how big of a 'bite' is taken out of its lifespan?

-Matt
Old 21 Nov 2013, 07:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
lol! ok, sounds like I shouldn't be too concerned at issues then - but...I guess really my question is, what can I expect to get out of the car? It's basically a 2006 'new' car - should I expect to get a good 10yrs from it when i start driving it (so lasting circa 2023) - how big of a 'bite' is taken out of its lifespan?

-Matt
All depends how well you keep up with maintenance and repairs. And how well you clean it and how responsible you drive.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Nov 2013, 08:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Talking Re: buying a PT with crazy low mileage

It's a shame 'Grandma' didn't drive a turbo,she could've got to & from the store & church alot faster!
Old 22 Nov 2013, 02:37 am
Regular Cruiser

I too have bought my 06 off my grandmother. But off her estate after she past. I got it with 31 000 kms and have been driving it as my daily driver for 5 years now with minimal problems. So I would snatch her up you will enjoy it.
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.