Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

PT Cruiser DIED after going through puddle

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2013, 06:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Arrow PT Cruiser DIED after going through puddle

God, it was the worst experience ever for my 2001 pt cruiser.

I pulled into a gas station yesterday and there was a huge puddle of water sitting in the entrance. Immediately after I pulled out and went in pretty deep water (about a foot), I went to accelerate and I heard the car starting to give up and eventually died. The temperature was low and the car has never ever had any issues before.

After pushing the car off the road, I noticed the alternator may be near the ground where the alternator may have been completely submerged underwater. Also, the cover/protector that goes under the engine had broken off a few years ago.

When trying to start, it sounds like there is no response to the engine, or as if the engine isn't getting any power. The battery is brand new, oil is very low. I even uploaded a video trying to start the car.

Is it possible to leave the engine components to dry for a week before starting? or did I really neglect my car and screw it up big time? c
Old 21 Nov 2013, 06:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser DIED after going through puddle

Sounds like your not getting much power from the battery if I'm hearing that right. If you can, give it time to dry out and try jump starting it with plenty of power from your and the helper battery.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 21 Nov 2013, 06:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If it's just water you most likely have some wires exposed somewhere? In any case get a can of WD 40 and spray the crap out of everything electrical! WD40 displaces water so if that is the problem it should get you going again!
Old 21 Nov 2013, 07:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: PT Cruiser DIED after going through puddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by s99 View Post
I noticed the alternator may be near the ground where the alternator may have been completely submerged underwater. Also, the cover/protector that goes under the engine had broken off a few years ago.
Chromenut had the same thing happen to him just a couple of months ago,that cover is called an 'Engine Splash Shield' for a very good reason-it keeps water from SPLASHING on the engine(silly name isn't it?)......Hopefully when the alternator,and maybe even starter also dry out,it will be OK;My advice is this: before driving thru the next puddle,or rainy day,make a run to a salvage yard,or order one online......They're definately cheaper in the long run,than a burned out alternator(plus labor!).
Old 21 Nov 2013, 08:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was running on a dead battery for a week before and I know for sure it makes a clicking sound when dead. This battery is only 2 weeks old.

I knew I should have had that splash shield fixed.

I didn't get any type of burning or odd smell after the break down, just the whole bottom of the engine components dripping water. The puddle was so deep I remember it reached the radiator/grill.

I'll let the car sit until tomorrow, see if it cranks again.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by s99; 21 Nov 2013 at 08:46 pm.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 11:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18sw View Post
If it's just water you most likely have some wires exposed somewhere? In any case get a can of WD 40 and spray the crap out of everything electrical! WD40 displaces water so if that is the problem it should get you going again!

Just remember that this technique is "old school" when you would remove the distributor cap and spray the inside. WD40 is extremely flammable so it may not be a good idea to spray everything electrical? Or at least if you feel froggie do it with caution.

Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Remember this: All modifications build on each other; the better you configure your mods to work with each other, the more powerful your car will be.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 11:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s99 View Post
I was running on a dead battery for a week before and I know for sure it makes a clicking sound when dead. This battery is only 2 weeks old.

I knew I should have had that splash shield fixed.

I didn't get any type of burning or odd smell after the break down, just the whole bottom of the engine components dripping water. The puddle was so deep I remember it reached the radiator/grill.

I'll let the car sit until tomorrow, see if it cranks again.

Thanks for the help guys.
The splash guard will prevent mostly road debris from hitting the crank hub ,belt and other low mounted engine parts. Water,snow and other liquid forms can still make its way around a splash guard. If you let the engine stand with the hood open hopefully in a garage the violated area should dry.

Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Remember this: All modifications build on each other; the better you configure your mods to work with each other, the more powerful your car will be.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 04:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I know this idiot that continues to leave the splash shield off his cars.
He left it off his Omni, then decided to 'blast' thru a snow bank. It was really cold putting that timing belt back on.
He then left it off for a winter on his neon and it got the hydraulic cam belt tensioner all full of salt making it seize.
Everytime it goes thru the slightest puddle the alternator squeals like a stuck pig.
The guard is sitting by his door right now, and takes like 15 minutes to put on ...

Hopefully it's just a discharge issue, going thru pig puddles can get water in intake and bend rods- not to be Mr. 'the sky is falling'
Old 25 Nov 2013, 11:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well it's been really hot in florida for a week and its definitely not starting again.

I managed to get a code "P0340" on the 2001 with 198k. Never ever had any problems before.

With that code being the cam shaft sensor and after research it seems that either the sensor gone bad or worse.

What do you guys think? Thanks for your time and fast response!
Old 25 Nov 2013, 11:43 pm
Young Cruiser

We bought our 02 a couple of years back and within 24 hours of taking it home Missus Bandaide took her sister and her sis's husband out in it (they both have PT convertibles. I guess they wanted to see what the sedan was like?) and drove for a bit.

Around 11:00 pm (yeah, long drive) it just quit running. I came to pick them up and found an 0340 Cam sensor code. After getting sledgehammer out at the dealer's place, they tore it down and found the sensor was fine but the timing belt wasn't.

Turns out if the belt's broke, the cam won't turn. No turning cam means no "signal" at the cam sensor setting an 0340. Which means the sensor was right.
UptownSport likes this.