PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Might have messed up big time.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Nov 2013, 11:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Might have messed up big time.

OK, I have a 2004 GT HO, 108,800 miles. It had a miss on #4 and throwing that code no matter what I did. New plugs, wires, new upper intake gasket, new injector, stock coil. It still would miss. I also had my radiator fan going bad so I got a new one (2 really, one didn't work but that is another story). So when I had everything pulled to replace the fan I decided to pull the lower intake that conects to the block and wa la, the gasket on #4 wasn't even there, part of the gasket was gone. Replaced the gaskets, put an MSD coil and 10.1 plug wires on. Fired her up and ran great.
Now, my plan was to do the timing belt/water pump before I found what was causing the miss fire but was so happy that she finally was running good I took her for a drive. Should have listened to my inner voice.
She ran great for the first 65 miles then on the way back the temp gauge started climbing, then cooled down, then back up to way too hot. I pulled over, sure enough, coolent coming out somewhere from the back but couldn't tell where (night by now).
Limped her back to town and call my insurance (I have towing), 45 minutes later I was on a tow truck
Hoping I didn't blow a head gasket. Had the new Goodyear timing belt kit with me, like that was going to help lol
Good thing I had coolent in the car
MSD
NKG
VMS Racing 10.1 Red Plug Wires
Installed Heated Leather Seats

Last edited by VegasPTGT; 22 Nov 2013 at 11:51 am.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 12:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Might have messed up big time.

If you didn't get too hot probably be OK. But you can just get a head set and replace the gasket while your there. Pop out an exhaust valve and check the seat. These take a beating.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Nov 2013, 12:25 pm
Banned

Never doubt "miss fire"

Now, my plan was to do the timing belt/water pump before I found what was causing the miss fire but was so happy that she finally was running good I took her for a drive. Should have listened to my inner voice.

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 22 Nov 2013 at 12:27 pm.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 12:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
If you didn't get too hot probably be OK. But you can just get a head set and replace the gasket while your there. Pop out an exhaust valve and check the seat. These take a beating.
It got way hot like 3 times. Really don't know if it was the water pump, stuck thermostat, blown hose somewhere.
She sure didn't like it whatever it was. It will have to wait until my next days off (Tuesday & Wednesday) to dive into it. Sucks but I'll do whatever, I really like the car. I thought it was pretty fast on 3 cylinders, she screamed on all 4. that grin isn't big enough.
Busted_PT likes this.
MSD
NKG
Old 22 Nov 2013, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So you never put the new fan in?
I think you'll be okay unless you drove it too long when it was really hot.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Nov 2013, 01:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
So you never put the new fan in?
I think you'll be okay unless you drove it too long when it was really hot.
I put the new fan in, it worked great, turned on and kept the gauge right at half way. It was blowing all the time when the temp was up.

Who has the best deal on a head gasket set? Might as well make sure while I have everything else off doing the water pump, sure don't want to do that job twice if I don't have to.
MSD
NKG
Old 22 Nov 2013, 01:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I always shipped the cheapest vendor on eBay. Some like rock auto. If you use them, get a discount code to use with it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Nov 2013, 01:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I always shipped the cheapest vendor on eBay. Some like rock auto. If you use them, get a discount code to use with it.
Busted, I use eBay a lot, both for buying and selling (my handle on eBay: 1deadbeatbidder). Just thought maybe someone would know the best set (like the timing belt..use Goodyear). I don't want to use a set that I will have problems with later and over pay. Done that before, hate it.
MSD
NKG
Old 22 Nov 2013, 02:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

I remember once in my wild and wooly youth having to drive an overheating car 3 miles at a time with a cool down in between. 20 miles took me half a day.

Old 22 Nov 2013, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasPTGT View Post
Busted, I use eBay a lot, both for buying and selling (my handle on eBay: 1deadbeatbidder). Just thought maybe someone would know the best set (like the timing belt..use Goodyear). I don't want to use a set that I will have problems with later and over pay. Done that before, hate it.
If your looking for name brand then there is no other fel pro.
VegasPTGT likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com