Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 PT Cruiser, No start, No spark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2013, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 PT Cruiser, No start, No spark

First off this is my parents car. The story goes, earlier in the week the check engine light came on, but they paid no mind to it. Couple days later they give me a call saying that it wont run. So I try to help them out, Read the codes, (I don't have the specific codes) One was for power steering something or other, and one was for cylinder one misfire.
I go ahead and assume its the coil that went bad. Get a new coil, install it. Try to start it, and no start. Checked for spark, and there is none. Read the codes again, p0700 transmission control system malfunction and p0562 system under voltage. We did have to jump start the car because the battery was dead, after changing out the coil. So is it safe to assume those codes are because of that? Should I go ahead and change out the cam and crank sensors like most people do even though there aren't codes for them? This is on an 05 PT convertible with the 2.4 turbo by the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 23 Nov 2013, 04:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 05 PT Cruiser, No start, No spark

Hello Rya,
Glad you found the forum for assistance.
How many miles on the car? That which I first "assume" is that the timing belt has failed.
If the belt was replaced per Chrysler maintenance schedule, then some other issue is there. Simply buying parts is not best plan.
Are we to understand that it car turns over with the starter but never "starts" and runs? No spark. How about fuel pressure?
Good luck! Others??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
First off this is my parents car. The story goes, earlier in the week the check engine light came on, but they paid no mind to it. Couple days later they give me a call saying that it wont run. So I try to help them out, Read the codes, (I don't have the specific codes) One was for power steering something or other, and one was for cylinder one misfire.
I go ahead and assume its the coil that went bad. Get a new coil, install it. Try to start it, and no start. Checked for spark, and there is none. Read the codes again, p0700 transmission control system malfunction and p0562 system under voltage. We did have to jump start the car because the battery was dead, after changing out the coil. So is it safe to assume those codes are because of that? Should I go ahead and change out the cam and crank sensors like most people do even though there aren't codes for them? This is on an 05 PT convertible with the 2.4 turbo by the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 23 Nov 2013, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
Pull the cam sensor off and check for cam rotation while turning key. If you have none, you found the problem.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Dec 2013, 03:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So a bit of an update. I pulled the cam sensor off and had someone crank the car over. The cam spins so the timing belt is not broken.

Yes the car will turn over, but doesn't fire and run.

Taking the battery to get tested tomorrow (its dead) before I check for voltages from the crank and cam sensors.