PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Am I over thinking this?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Nov 2013, 06:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Am I over thinking this?

On Saturday I had a little accident with the PT, I went to brake via down shifting and using the pedal as I have been doing since I purchased the car a week ago, And it went into a slide as I went to turn into my bank parking lot, It ended up popping over the curb and resting on their lawn, No damage was done to the appearance of the car, But I have this bad feeling that it put the car out of alignment a bit, Can not be sure, But it seems now when I let go of the steering wheel it pulls to the curb, Where it used to go straight, Am I over thinking this? Its also snowing and nasty out so the roads are not bear pavement,
Old 25 Nov 2013, 07:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Am I over thinking this?

Have it checked out as soon as you can. Some places do a free inspection of the front end. I see something like that on a comercial. Can't remember which one it was. Some big chain place. Good luck.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 25 Nov 2013, 07:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Good rule of thumb on alignments. Go SOMEPLACE SAFE with little to no crown on the road (as flat as possible. Get in the left hand lane Hit 60mph. Let the steering Wheel go, foot off of the gas and count one one thousands to 6 one thousands. If your not on the curb at the count or 6 your Fine. But please use common sense with this method. Its a good baseline and ALL CARS WILL pull to the right slightly. Its was a well thought out safety feature. Good luck
Old 25 Nov 2013, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You'll either spend money on an alignment, or spend it on tires...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Nov 2013, 08:27 pm
Banned

I don't downshift using the transmission.

When you do you run the risk of losing traction unless you match it perfectly which it sounds like you didn't

Just use the brake, it's cheaper than a clutch
Old 25 Nov 2013, 08:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

He sent me this just now... Couple drove from Ottawa to Ajax. and stopped in for an oil change..
Old 25 Nov 2013, 09:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
You'll either spend money on an alignment, or spend it on tires...
Not necessarily. The suspension is set up so that if ANY angle is thrown off it will effect drivablility and tracking. I've put my method to the test and it has cost me quite a few alignments but has gained the trust of MANY clients. I first test drive the car, if it tracks straight I go for a ride with the customer and show them I do not want to just take their money. If they insist I will throw it on the alignment rack print current measurements and spec to make sure they want the alignment. Most thank me and drive on, and bring the car back to me personally. If ANY angle (camber, caster, toe.) Any angle changes it will change drivablility noticeably whether you have to dig it out of a turn because castor is off or you take your eyes off the road and jump up on the curb because something is a miss. This test will save you from spending money on unneeded repairs.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 12:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty05 View Post
Not necessarily. The suspension is set up so that if ANY angle is thrown off it will effect drivablility and tracking. I've put my method to the test and it has cost me quite a few alignments but has gained the trust of MANY clients. I first test drive the car, if it tracks straight I go for a ride with the customer and show them I do not want to just take their money. If they insist I will throw it on the alignment rack print current measurements and spec to make sure they want the alignment. Most thank me and drive on, and bring the car back to me personally. If ANY angle (camber, caster, toe.) Any angle changes it will change drivablility noticeably whether you have to dig it out of a turn because castor is off or you take your eyes off the road and jump up on the curb because something is a miss. This test will save you from spending money on unneeded repairs.
But after you jump a curb sideways the odds of not needing an alignment are ZERO.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Nov 2013, 03:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've seen it happen and I've seen all the way up to broken control arms... No way to know unless you check. No sense in throwing an alignment at it if it doesnt need one... Might as well throw a new gas cap on it to. I know not everyone is a mechanic but I can help you save money and put that money where you want or need to put it. I'm sure they have already crawled under and looked for broken parts... And I trust (and hope) the common person would be able to tell if a suspension component was broken, paint peeling off would be one of many indicators. I don't mean any disrespect and don't want to start a fight but I'm just trying to save a fellow enthusiast a few bucks.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Am I over thinking this?

Shirt answer...
No! You are not overthinking potential damage!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!