PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt cruiser 2004 with 2002 engine

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2013, 09:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Pt cruiser 2004 with 2002 engine

I have 2004 pt cruiser and he's engine died. Now have 2002 engine and dont have power in the inition my pt have new crank sensor and inition and engine dont start the question is the computer of 2004 and 2002 are same? Suggestions? Please some one help me and sorry for my english...
Old 28 Nov 2013, 09:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pt cruiser 2004 with 2002 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tito88pr View Post
I have 2004 pt cruiser and he's engine died. Now have 2002 engine and dont have power in the inition my pt have new crank sensor and inition and engine dont start the question is the computer of 2004 and 2002 are same? Suggestions? Please some one help me and sorry for my english...
Is the crank sensor in the same location on the 02 engine as the 04? If not It will not work. Yes the computers are different.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Nov 2013, 10:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes Cranks sensor are in diferent position i will buy 2002 computer! I
hope it works! thanks for your help!
Old 28 Nov 2013, 10:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Your going to have a problem with the knock sensor. That was changed in 03 to a different type that will not work with any engine made before 03. I believe that is the ONLY difference in a pre 03 engine. You will have to swap computers. But let's start with fire, air fuel.. Take off a spark plug wire and try to fire it. See if you have spark. If you have spark make sure there are nothing blocking your air intake. If you have fire, and air, take some starting fluid and spray it in the intake IT ONLY TAKES A LITTLE.just spray it for just a second and have someone try to start it. If you have air, fuel and fire you should start. My first guess is your computer. The knock sensor does not work with your computer.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty05 View Post
Your going to have a problem with the knock sensor. That was changed in 03 to a different type that will not work with any engine made before 03. I believe that is the ONLY difference in a pre 03 engine. You will have to swap computers. But let's start with fire, air fuel.. Take off a spark plug wire and try to fire it. See if you have spark. If you have spark make sure there are nothing blocking your air intake. If you have fire, and air, take some starting fluid and spray it in the intake IT ONLY TAKES A LITTLE.just spray it for just a second and have someone try to start it. If you have air, fuel and fire you should start. My first guess is your computer. The knock sensor does not work with your computer.
The knock sensor doesn't matter. Pre 03 engines have the crank sensor in a different location. Will not work with the 04 computer and you cannot swap computers as they are vin programed to the pt. Also they are not even the same configuration or same location on the pre 03 PT's. That's the differences that matter but there are more.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Nov 2013, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

I can not change the computer? supposed to do?
Old 29 Nov 2013, 01:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The knock sensor doesn't matter. Pre 03 engines have the crank sensor in a different location. Will not work with the 04 computer and you cannot swap computers as they are vin programed to the pt. Also they are not even the same configuration or same location on the pre 03 PT's. That's the differences that matter but there are more.
Really? Dsm with all their intellect decided to make computers vin specific?? As long as the motor, trans, and sensors were compatible why would they not work? I've seen plenty of swaps done on other dsms and VERY creative even more so than Honda's. And all that is mentioned is the knock sensor and now I think about it the cp sensor are different. So if you swap a post o3 motor into a pre o3 car you in theory you would should be able to use the computer from an identical car ie. N/a auto vs n/a stick. There can't be that much different with the computers. Dsm was VERY good about parts interchangeably between brands. It's hard to believe they would goof like that. I know its an expensive trial and error unless you hit the junk yard ($20 on a used computer) but I wouldn't see any difference in hardware... Not really a software guy though.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 10:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Another difference - '01 and '02 engines have exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) - '03 on up engines don't.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Nov 2013, 10:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty05 View Post
Really? Dsm with all their intellect decided to make computers vin specific?? As long as the motor, trans, and sensors were compatible why would they not work? I've seen plenty of swaps done on other dsms and VERY creative even more so than Honda's. And all that is mentioned is the knock sensor and now I think about it the cp sensor are different. So if you swap a post o3 motor into a pre o3 car you in theory you would should be able to use the computer from an identical car ie. N/a auto vs n/a stick. There can't be that much different with the computers. Dsm was VERY good about parts interchangeably between brands. It's hard to believe they would goof like that. I know its an expensive trial and error unless you hit the junk yard ($20 on a used computer) but I wouldn't see any difference in hardware... Not really a software guy though.
The computors are not even made the same or mounted in the same location.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Nov 2013, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Can I ask a dumb question here?

Can't the OP simply strip the 2002 engine down to the long block and then use the 2004 manifolds, fuel rail injectors, sensors and all the rest? Wouldn't the 2002 engine then work fine in the 2004 PT using the original 2004 ECM?

I though there was another thread where we recently discussed that the non-turbo 2.4 block and head is basically the same throughout the PT run. Or am I missing something.