Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2013, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Windshield wiper problems

Hey everyone,

So I have a 2006 PT and hit a big deer a few months back. I found a 2001 PT in a scrap yard and switched the front ends including the hood. Winter has come around and I tried to use the wiper fluid and nothing comes out. I just refilled it with the same results. The fluid comes out the back but not the front. When I switched hoods I made sure to put the hose back on. I popped the hood and tried un hooking the hose to see if anything came out (to reassure myself it was not the nozzles) and nothing did. I noticed that there are wires running along the hose that attach to the bottom of the nozzle but because of the switch, are not attached to the opposite end (I do not know where they go). I was wondering if there were any big differences in the years and what I can do about this. Thanks!
Old 28 Nov 2013, 05:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Windshield wiper problems

I have chrome nozzles so I also have wires because they light up but the stock hood shouldn't have any wires at all, only the black tubes for the washers. Sounds like you picked a hood with aftermarket/replacement nozzles. if the rear washer works, then the pump is OK. Your going to have to trace the rubber hoses back to the pump to find where the blockage is.
shelbygt660 likes this.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 06:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Windshield wiper problems

One of the most common places for a blockage(or clog),is at the washer nozzle itself,mostly caused by people using plain tap water,which is normally 'hard'(full of minerals/alkali),that's why 'washer fliud' is made with distilled water,but it also contains a small amount of etylene glycol...Yep,Anti-Freeze,which not only prevents freezing in winter months,but it also acts as a lubricant for the washer pump.(that's why it's even found in 'Summer' formulas!)
I would recommend,check the nozzle tips first....Using a small piece of wire(one from a wire-brush works get),or you can use a sewing needle or pin,'gently' stick it into the nozzle,and work it back & forth to clear any blockage.(alot of times they can also get clogged during wax/polish application).
If that fails to work,start working your way back,checking the hoses,and the connectors.....WARNING: Be careful when handling/messing with the nozzles,connecting 'T's' & Elbow[,as they can be prone to breaking VERY easily!
A great way to check the hoses,is by blowing thru them,if unable to blow thru one(or more)of the hoses,a good 'handy' tool to use to clear it is a wire 'coat-hanger' that has been straightened out.
As CREWZIN already stated,and I agree(since front & rear work off the same pump)....The washer pump is probably OK,so you should find the problem before getting there.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 06:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Talking Re: Windshield wiper problems

I thought I might add,they actually make a special 'Washer Nozzle/Jet Tool',which is used to clear,and mainly aim the washer nozzles....But,I've always used a 'straight pin' or sewing needle,and in my entire life I've only seen 1 mechanic that had one,that he kept in his 'Pocket Protector'(LMBO),with his ball-point pens,and tire gauge!
Here's what one looks like,just for 'sh*ts & giggles':
Klann Tools KL-0126-33 SCREEN WASHER JET NOZZLE NEEDLE
dirty05 likes this.

Tags
wiper fluid windshield