Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dirty05
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Nov 2013, 05:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Car shaking '06

Our car is shaking from about 52 to 65mph. I had the tires checked for balance and seperation. I also changed the two motor mounts on the passenger side of the motor. Do you think it is the transmission mount and is there any way to fix it without pulling the motor? Thanks Lance
Old 29 Nov 2013, 08:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Car shaking '06

When you had the tires checked on the balance machine do you know of it was a "road force balancer"?? Did they try to move the tires back and forth and up and down in the air? Check for wheel bearing and ball joint play?
Chromenut likes this.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 09:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Car shaking '06

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancellambert View Post
Do you think it is the transmission mount
The engine and transmission are in a sense one unit,so replacing the torque arms pretty much took care of that,and checking the tires for balance & bulge/blister/separation eliminates those things.
There are several other things that could be the source of your problem:

1.) Wheel Alignment-When a car's wheels are out of alignment,it can lead to vibration.

2.) Worn Shocks/Struts-Worn shocks/struts on your car can cause vibrations by not keeping the tires firmly on the road surface.

3.) Steering Components-Loose or broken steering components can cause vibrations when driving at high speeds;Worn tie rod bushings or a bad wheel bearing can also cause vibrations,as can warped brake rotors,which can especially be felt in the steering wheel when braking.(This could also include the lower control arms & ball joints)

4.) Bent Rims-This will cause a vibration at high speeds and balancing the wheels will not fix it;A bent rim needs to be replaced,especially if it's on the front end of the car.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 10:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tie rods and even axles can cause this.
dirty05 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 29 Nov 2013 at 10:28 pm.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 06:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Bought 4 tires for the wife's Focus (which we just traded in) and had that shaking going on at around 55mph. Took the shop awhile to find the culprit...one of the tires was Out-of-Round, which they didn't notice while balancing them.
mityqwik likes this.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 11:40 am
Banned

Why would you buy new tires only to trade it?

Also why trade it? That is throwing money away, oh well guess you have money to burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Bought 4 tires for the wife's Focus (which we just traded in) and had that shaking going on at around 55mph. Took the shop awhile to find the culprit...one of the tires was Out-of-Round, which they didn't notice while balancing them.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post

Also why trade it? That is throwing money away, oh well guess you have money to burn

1. The tires were bought about 3 months ago when there was no mention from the wife that she was having a hard time adjusting the seat and get in and out of the car. She has MS and a pacemaker and as time passes, small things are getting harder for her to do.

2. As far as trading it in, I looked at a couple of sites for used car prices and was well aware of what it was worth. Yes, the dealer trade-in price was lower than what I could get if I tried selling it myself but not that much lower when you consider my time and energy and the hassle of advertising and showing and waiting around for the right buyer, plus, I've done cosmetic, lighting and performance mods that I didn't feel like un-doing to bring it back to stock condition which we all know that selling a car other than stock takes away a number of potential buyers. Just not worth it.

BTW: picked her up a 2014 Chevy Cruze LTZ with the RS package. 1.4 Ltr Turbo supposedly getting around 38 hwy mpg. Champagne Metallic with white leather interior, power everything with 6-way adjustable seating and with bluetooth connection, backup camera w/audible parking and approaching vehicle detection. SiriusXM Satellite radio and premium sound /9-speaker stereo. Rear spoiler and ground affect (RS) package, 18 inch 5-spoke Silver painted aluminum wheels, remote start and push-button start.....all for $23,750, plus I added the paint protection and GAP coverage (which covers all costs if totaled between what insurance pays and what's needed for a new car). Black Friday deal was $2000 off plus another $1000 from dealer and $3K from my trade.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 30 Nov 2013 at 12:38 pm.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 05:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
1. The tires were bought about 3 months ago when there was no mention from the wife that she was having a hard time adjusting the seat and get in and out of the car. She has MS and a pacemaker and as time passes, small things are getting harder for her to do.

2. As far as trading it in, I looked at a couple of sites for used car prices and was well aware of what it was worth. Yes, the dealer trade-in price was lower than what I could get if I tried selling it myself but not that much lower when you consider my time and energy and the hassle of advertising and showing and waiting around for the right buyer, plus, I've done cosmetic, lighting and performance mods that I didn't feel like un-doing to bring it back to stock condition which we all know that selling a car other than stock takes away a number of potential buyers. Just not worth it.

BTW: picked her up a 2014 Chevy Cruze LTZ with the RS package. 1.4 Ltr Turbo supposedly getting around 38 hwy mpg. Champagne Metallic with white leather interior, power everything with 6-way adjustable seating and with bluetooth connection, backup camera w/audible parking and approaching vehicle detection. SiriusXM Satellite radio and premium sound /9-speaker stereo. Rear spoiler and ground affect (RS) package, 18 inch 5-spoke Silver painted aluminum wheels, remote start and push-button start.....all for $23,750, plus I added the paint protection and GAP coverage (which covers all costs if totaled between what insurance pays and what's needed for a new car). Black Friday deal was $2000 off plus another $1000 from dealer and $3K from my trade.
Well, that was nicer than I would have said it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Nov 2013, 05:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty05 View Post
When you had the tires checked on the balance machine do you know of it was a "road force balancer"?? Did they try to move the tires back and forth and up and down in the air? Check for wheel bearing and ball joint play?
I agree with Dirty05 - I run off my tires rather rapidly, mostly because I drive like an idiot and a moron and "drive it like I stole it". Literally I love going fast!

So in the past I've had two issues causing vibrations, both mentioned here. Crewzin mentions the "out of round" problem, I had a Faulken that was that way. Now I'm on Pirelli P6's and I always buy them from the same tire store, Discount Tire. The reason is they do pressure tests and use "road force" balancer. Generally, the balance machines hold the tire and spin it, looking for places that weights are to be added. With Road Force, it actually applies pressure to the tire and causes very distinct and accurate weighting.

Two days ago I went with a friend of mine, Deputy in Iredell County Sheriff's Department, and we went to an abandoned airstrip that has a 6000' runway (yes, over a mile!). He set up laser and radar and I ran up to 121 MPH before slowing down!!! At 105mph my car feels like it's floating, it's actually a bit weird, but that's because all four wheels are balanced on Road Force.