PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 PT died while pulled over on phone

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Nov 2013, 07:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 PT died while pulled over on phone

My 05 PT just died, I had pulled over talking to my office for about 20 min. I was on a hill (up) about 20 deg. When it stalled, first I think the oil light came on ... So I revd it up a bit.. Then it stalled and would not start... First thought... The timming belt that should have been changed , but hasn't went... But I looked at it and it looks fine... So I pulled off the gas line going to the injectors...and it's fine.
It acts like its out of gas... Seams to want to start... But not really doing it
I just checked for an error code ... But it reads DOnE.

Is there some sort of cam sensor.or something els to check? I was told to remove the spark plugs.....and see if there is spark...
It's not a turbo...just a basic

Any ideas..?
Thank you in advance
Old 29 Nov 2013, 07:57 pm
Banned

Default Re: 05 PT died while pulled over on phone

I don't know......maybe... It's because....your...cell phone caused...interference...with...your pt...cruiser.

Just a...

Weird how....things happen.... Like that...

Welcome to...the forum...

Some....pictures..of ..your.. Cruiser
Old 29 Nov 2013, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok, moving on. Did you check your oil, Heat gauge, and how did you look at the timing belt? The easiest way to check for broken belt is to pull the cam sensor on the drivers side of the head. two bolts. Turn it over and see if it turns.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Nov 2013, 08:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: 05 PT died while pulled over on phone

I'm leaning towards the statement "I was on a hill (up) about 20 deg"????........All automobile gas tanks have some amount condensation in them after awhile,that's why it's not ever a good idea to run the tank till empty,and run out of gas.
But,even having a some gas in the tank,and going uphill could have caused some water to get sucked up.
That could be why your not getting any codes.....bad fuel?
How much gas was in your tank when this happened?
One thing you can try;Get a can of engine starter fluid,give a shot into the throttle-body,then try to start the car.....Try that 2-3 times at least (it's kinda like giving the system CPR) and try and get new fuel flowing thru the lines & to the engine.....It won't hurt to try.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 09:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The gas tank is almost full, and as I said I ran fuel threw to open line...

Ill look at removing the sensor.... On the drivers side? The timmimg belt is on the passengers side... I removed a screw from the housing and pried it open to inspect the belt... But if I'm understanding you... I need to remove the sensor and use something to turn it...or just try the key and turn it over?

Ill post photos in the AM
Old 29 Nov 2013, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Also the guy at auto zone said. Spraying carb cleaner into it will do no good...it won't make it down to the valves....but if you tell me to try it CPR... I will
Old 29 Nov 2013, 09:14 pm
Banned

Do you hate complete sentences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ptchris View Post
The gas tank is almost full, and as I said I ran fuel threw to open line...

Ill look at removing the sensor.... On the drivers side? The timmimg belt is on the passengers side... I removed a screw from the housing and pried it open to inspect the belt... But if I'm understanding you... I need to remove the sensor and use something to turn it...or just try the key and turn it over?

Ill post photos in the AM
Old 29 Nov 2013, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The guy at AutoZone is ALMOST correct. That's a good way to see if you are getting air and fire. Just spray (insert common sense here.) A little in after the air filter and try to fire it. If your getting air and fire it will start.... For a short time, like 10-15 seconds. Another good way to tell if your timing belt broke is to start it. If its broken it will crank a lot faster due to not having to turn the water pump cams and such.... And Change your timing belt when you get it running. It's not as hard as folks say it is. We can help when if you decide to do that. But your more than likely stuck where your at for the moment. Good luck.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 09:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Jut look in the the hole where the sensor is and crank with the key. No turn the belt is broken. These don't wiz over fast like an interference engine does because you have a lot of compression resistance from closed valves. Have someone or if you can see from there that the cam is turning.
dirty05 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Nov 2013, 09:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: 05 PT died while pulled over on phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty05 View Post
Just spray (insert common sense here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ptchris View Post
Spraying carb cleaner into it will do no good...
"Engine Starter Fluid"...NOT "Carb Cleaner"(Those are two different things!)........Also,if your timing belt had broken,or slipped some teeth,you should be getting a 'Check Engine' light,and probably 2-3(or more!) codes via the cars built-in OBD system.
If you want to try something "Carb Cleaner" WILL help with,pull the IAC(idle air controller),or if the throttle-body is dirty and use it to clean them.
"Engine Starter Fluid" is an Ether based product used for 'hard-to-start' engines.

Tags
05 pt cruiser won't start, stalled