Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Noise/Vibration When Accelerating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2013, 07:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Noise/Vibration When Accelerating

I have a 2006 base PT with 134K on it. For the last week, we've noticed a whuh-whuh-whuh noise when accelerating and you feel some vibration through the seats. There is no noise or vibration when in idle, so I am guessing it is drive train related as opposed to engine? Back in October we got new back tires, but no alignment because we hadn't gotten the front tires at the same time. Since this noise started, we had the tires rotated, in case the two older, front tires were causing the noise, but it made no difference. Haven't gotten the two other tires yet, so have not gotten a new alignment. Don't know if that would even be related to the noise/vibration, but wanted to mention it.

Anyone had this issue before, and what did it turn out to be? I've seen posts with mention of wheel bearings, cv joints, axles, etc. Would a mechanic be able to do a test drive and say, "Oh, it's such-and-such!", or is it something they have to just start replacing parts until they find the one that makes a difference?

Major Repairs:
Air Conditioning: Fan Assembly 2008, Fan Assembly 2010, Fan Assembly 2012
Steering: Power Steering Rack 2012
Front Wheel Bearing 2013
Old 30 Nov 2013, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Noise/Vibration When Accelerating

Easy enough to check for wheel bearings - jack up a side, grab top & bottom of tire and see if you can get any movement when you push/pull.
Wheel bearings typically make more noise when you turn one way than when you turn other way...
Yes, I think a good mehanic could nail your problem.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Nov 2013, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Easy enough to check for wheel bearings - jack up a side, grab top & bottom of tire and see if you can get any movement when you push/pull.
Wheel bearings typically make more noise when you turn one way than when you turn other way...
Yes, I think a good mechanic could nail your problem.
^ what they said.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 10:08 am
Regular Cruiser

Finally had our appt with the mechanic. It's a bad wheel bearing. I don't know how much it costs to fix yet. Any ideas? It's not the dealer, it's a regular mechanic.

I have a bunch of other items to pay for and am wondering how much I'll be outlaying right before Christmas, lol. Besides the wheel bearing, we need a new battery (old one leaking acid from one of the posts), new wires/plugs (currently has stock, and they stink), clean throttle body, new brake shoes (the front are a 3, back a 4, and inspection is coming up)...

Major Repairs:
Front Wheel Bearing 2013
Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:07 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Noise/Vibration When Accelerating UPDATE

It cost $535 for everything, including tax. That was for new front brake pads/calipers, new battery, new plugs and wires, cleaning the throttle body, and replacing the front right wheel bearing. The labor was $175 of that, and frankly, I think most of the labor costs came from the stupid spark plug placement!

There was one item on there I don't know what it goes to: Intake Gasket Set. Which of the repairs does that go with? I looked it up and saw it was for the intake manifold, so does that go with the spark plugs?

Major Repairs:
Front Wheel Bearing 2013
Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, the gasket is related to plugs. On a non-turbo engine, to get the spark plugs out, you have to take off the intake manifold. The gasket should be re-usable, but I guess yours wasn't.
The price you got is very reasonable - hope you didn't get garbage disks and brakes.
Have you had the timing belt replaced or have proof it was replaced?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:51 am
Senior Cruiser

The total bill wasn't too bad for all that was done. Fortunately the spark plugs don't have to be changed often. The other items do wear out over time so even though some hadn't failed yet, it's not a bad idea to go ahead and replace them. I probably would have done the other wheel bearing, just because.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:27 am
Banned

Exclamation Re: Noise/Vibration When Accelerating

Be careful!!! I think a whuh-whuh-whuh sound means a train is approaching!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPTCruiserInPA View Post
I have a 2006 base PT with 134K on it. For the last week, we've noticed a whuh-whuh-whuh noise when accelerating and you feel some vibration through the seats. There is no noise or vibration when in idle, so I am guessing it is drive train related as opposed to engine? Back in October we got new back tires, but no alignment because we hadn't gotten the front tires at the same time. Since this noise started, we had the tires rotated, in case the two older, front tires were causing the noise, but it made no difference. Haven't gotten the two other tires yet, so have not gotten a new alignment. Don't know if that would even be related to the noise/vibration, but wanted to mention it.

Anyone had this issue before, and what did it turn out to be? I've seen posts with mention of wheel bearings, cv joints, axles, etc. Would a mechanic be able to do a test drive and say, "Oh, it's such-and-such!", or is it something they have to just start replacing parts until they find the one that makes a difference?
Old 14 Dec 2013, 12:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

They shouldn't be garbage parts. The mechanic is a friend of my father's, so he's not going to screw him over. I've never even talked to the guy; my father handles everything, lol. He also knows a lot about cars, so he would know.

We haven't had the timing belt replaced yet. We've been hemming and hawing because we were planning on buying a new car, but with every repair we have to do (had power steering fixed to the tune of almost $1000 not so long ago, this and some other things brings it close to $2K), we stretch it a little farther. I didn't want to invest the $1000+ into the timing belt if we weren't going to keep it, but I think we probably will get it done shortly, and just put off a new car until next year, providing nothing else goes wrong with it...

Major Repairs:
Front Wheel Bearing 2013
Old 14 Dec 2013, 02:49 pm
Banned

Hemming and hawing? Wth does that mean?

I know of hemming motor news, the knitting process and rolling sheet metal is called hemming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPTCruiserInPA View Post
They shouldn't be garbage parts. The mechanic is a friend of my father's, so he's not going to screw him over. I've never even talked to the guy; my father handles everything, lol. He also knows a lot about cars, so he would know.

We haven't had the timing belt replaced yet. We've been hemming and hawing because we were planning on buying a new car, but with every repair we have to do (had power steering fixed to the tune of almost $1000 not so long ago, this and some other things brings it close to $2K), we stretch it a little farther. I didn't want to invest the $1000+ into the timing belt if we weren't going to keep it, but I think we probably will get it done shortly, and just put off a new car until next year, providing nothing else goes wrong with it...