PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01' pt help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2013, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 01' pt help please

Hello everyone,
im new to this site and it seems like everyone here is pretty knowledgeable about pt's ..and well im having a bit of an issue, my wifes 01 pt used to overheat ive fixed that twice first it was a dead cooling fan motor. Fixed. Then just recently water pump started leaking. Fixed. Well when i was trying to figure it out i did the easy stuff first. Temp sensor and thermostat. My first mistake was using a failsafe thermostat because the next time it overheated, stuck wide open. I forgot about it until it got cold. Naturally. So i just changed out the thermostat yesterday for a standard 195 degree and while just sitting warmed up nicely. Went to drive it home later yesterday evening and it never warmed up. Although i did get a little heat from the vents just not much. And the only logical thing i can think of next is dirty heater core?
Any insight would be awesome
Old 01 Dec 2013, 06:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01' pt help please

Is the temp gauge in the middle? If so, you have a heater core problem.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Dec 2013, 06:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: 01' pt help please

Couple of questions:

When the car starts to overheat,does turning the climate control from 'cold' to 'hot' change the reading on the temp. gauge?

Have you made sure to bleed all air from the cooling system?
Old 01 Dec 2013, 10:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The car no longer overheats it doesnt heat up. The needle stays cold unless you let the car sit and idle.
Old 01 Dec 2013, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Now that i think about it i dont remember bleeding the air from the cooling system
Old 01 Dec 2013, 10:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CruiserAP View Post
Now that i think about it i dont remember bleeding the air from the cooling system
That may be your issue. A half full cooling system may keep the engine from overheating on a cool day. But it often doesn't allow the heater core to warm up.
Old 01 Dec 2013, 10:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CruiserAP View Post
The car no longer overheats it doesnt heat up. The needle stays cold unless you let the car sit and idle.
You won't get any heat until temp is halfway.

Leave heat on full and run the car - air will eventually work itself out - when car is cold, take of radiator cap and be sure coolant is up to the brim.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Dec 2013, 11:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I really appreciate the input guys this things been driving me nuts so i feel like im over looking the little things haha. I will bleed all the air from the system and update you tmrw thanks again!
Old 07 Jan 2014, 11:26 am
Senior Cruiser

any update to this? I just took mine in to the dealer and they say everything is fine. sure, it's -8 outside, but the internal engine heat should still register halfway on the dial. doesn't heat up even when 30 or 40 degrees outside. while idling, temperature will rise, but when going down the road temperature gauge drops to the bottom and heat is almost gone.

could the sensor be bad?
Old 07 Jan 2014, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
any update to this? I just took mine in to the dealer and they say everything is fine. sure, it's -8 outside, but the internal engine heat should still register halfway on the dial. doesn't heat up even when 30 or 40 degrees outside. while idling, temperature will rise, but when going down the road temperature gauge drops to the bottom and heat is almost gone.

could the sensor be bad?
I had the same issue when I installed a Stant Superstat thermostat. But after putting in a standard thermostat, the temp stays right in the middle on the gauge even this morning when it was 9 degrees.