PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with ignition cylinder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2013, 09:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help with ignition cylinder?

Hello,

Just this morning, the key in my 2002 cruiser stopped turning in the lock. I've been browsing the forums with similar questions, but it seems all the solutions given require that you can turn the key into the run position.

I cleaned it with some PB Blaster and used a little dry lubricant on it, so I'm hoping if it's a stuck tumbler that it may be able to pop back into place. If it's not that, and the actuator pin is stuck or broken, is there any way to repair that if I can't turn the key to the run position?

Is there any way to remove the cylinder if I can't turn the key? Or am I going to be stuck with taking it to the dealer and shelling out a few hundred dollars?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01 Dec 2013, 10:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help with ignition cylinder?

Do a search on "ignition".
Try moving gear selector in & out of park - try neutral.
Try pushing in on key while turning....

Read this one :
New member - 2004 PT Issues brought me here

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Dec 2013, 11:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Help with ignition cylinder?

If the key won't turn in the cylinder,it cannot be removed for repair.....The metal pin under the cylinder housing,can only be depressed when the key is in the 'RUN' position.
If the key won't turn,you cannot drive,or pull it with a tow-strap(steering wheel is locked);You'll either have to have it towed,with the front wheels off the ground to a dealer,or locksmith.....But,some locksmiths will come to you.
The cylinder will need to be replaced,and have the tumblers keyed to match your original one,so your old keys will work with the new cylinder.
Old 02 Dec 2013, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Help with ignition cylinder?

Yep, had to have a locksmith drill it out. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Old 02 Dec 2013, 07:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Help with ignition cylinder?

Most,but not all of the time,when a key cylinder is starting to get worn/go bad,there will be subtle signs like key sticking/not going in or out smoothly,or when turned they will stick or feel resistant to being turned......If they are changed at that time,it's a piece of cake;Once they get stuck....Well,you know?