Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt tensioner issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2013, 09:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt tensioner issues

Hello Folks, The Cruiser in question is a 2002 2.4 non turbo charged. I have stripped down the engine to replace the water pump and timing belt while looking for an oil leak. 50,000 miles ago we pulled the engine and had it rebuilt and it has ran fine except for the oil leak. This car has the new style tensioner for the timing belt. After setting up the belt and tensioner by lining up the marks on the cam and crank sprockets, the tensioner would turn counter clockwise nearly a total turn before the window would line up and then kind of pop and loosen back up. The book calls for you to tension it COUNTER CLOCKWISE. I gave up and turned the tensioner CLOCKWISE. Then the window lined up and I tightened the bolt and it held great. I turned the engine two complete revolutions and the marks all lined up perfect. Is this OK seeing that the book specifically says turn the tensioner counter clock wise?
PS. The book also says to put the engine mount and bracket on before you put the timing belt covers on.....The timing belt covers have bolts under the engine mount...
Thanks for your input!
Old 02 Dec 2013, 06:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt tensioner issues

Have no idea. I have a Neon (had the hydraulic tensioner only Euro PT's have) and my '01 PT had the 1st design.

Bump for someone that knows
Old 02 Dec 2013, 08:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt tensioner issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck2112 View Post
Hello Folks, The Cruiser in question is a 2002 2.4 non turbo charged. I have stripped down the engine to replace the water pump and timing belt while looking for an oil leak. 50,000 miles ago we pulled the engine and had it rebuilt and it has ran fine except for the oil leak. This car has the new style tensioner for the timing belt. After setting up the belt and tensioner by lining up the marks on the cam and crank sprockets, the tensioner would turn counter clockwise nearly a total turn before the window would line up and then kind of pop and loosen back up. The book calls for you to tension it COUNTER CLOCKWISE. I gave up and turned the tensioner CLOCKWISE. Then the window lined up and I tightened the bolt and it held great. I turned the engine two complete revolutions and the marks all lined up perfect. Is this OK seeing that the book specifically says turn the tensioner counter clock wise?
PS. The book also says to put the engine mount and bracket on before you put the timing belt covers on.....The timing belt covers have bolts under the engine mount...
Thanks for your input!
Actually you put the rear cover on before you install the tensioners & belt. Then you can Put the cast iron mount in and then the upper & lower outer covers on. they butt up against the mount. Line up my tensioner as the instructions in the kit called for with out issue. Can't remember which direction it called for.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com