Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No crank / No start. No code retreival.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2013, 06:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy No crank / No start. No code retreival.

Hey everyone,

I need a bit of help with my grandmothers Cruiser. I'm not really a car person, but am generally able to follow directions online for repairs and whatnot. She asked me to help as I'm the only option and she doesn't have $$ to throw at a mechanic. That being said, we're just trying to get information on whats wrong right now.

Background as described to me: 04 PT Cruiser, non turbo. Preceeding current issue vehicle would have delayed shifting on roadway and often would not shift out of reverse. While she was commuting one day the vehicle shut off in a turn lane and would not start. Since that time it will not even try to crank. Power is good, fluids are good. Turning key to start only shows clock and some dash icons. Attempts to retrieve codes through self-test that involves the odometer count up did not show any codes or 'done', just the computer and guage hoopla. Other method, 'on-off-on-off-on' does not result in codes or 'done'.

Any help or guidance at all would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I'm doing the on/off worng but I tried it at varying speeds and even watched on YouTube to make sure I wasn't a total idiot.
Old 02 Dec 2013, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No crank / No start. No code retreival.

Welcome to the forum.

Try the code retrieval again using these directions. Make sure you turn the key three times within 5 seconds.

How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 02 Dec 2013, 06:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Tried on/off method again. No change. Holds it's odometer reading.
Old 02 Dec 2013, 06:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Spontaneous death and no start almost sounds like two problems, but I am pretty sure the anti-theft system could also also cause that. Possibly also a crazy weak battery? Do the headlights still work brightly?
Old 02 Dec 2013, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
Spontaneous death and no start almost sounds like two problems, but I am pretty sure the anti-theft system could also also cause that. Possibly also a crazy weak battery? Do the headlights still work brightly?
Headlights are bright, battery has good connections.

From what I understand the no start issue did not appear in any form until after the sudden death.

Last edited by Allie; 02 Dec 2013 at 07:00 pm.
Old 02 Dec 2013, 07:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: No crank / No start. No code retreival.

Sounds like possible shift linkage out of adjustment and/or bad neutral safety switch also.
Old 02 Dec 2013, 10:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

But would a bad NSS kill the car? I thought it only interrupted the starter?

Here's a thought: Investigate the relay panel by the brake fluid reservoir under the hood. There are several relays and several fuses in there, and just a couple of them having an issue could kill the car and prevent the starter from working, but leave most other things fully functional. I'm thinking a bad connection to that panel itself, or something systemic like that. However, during my work on a PT over the weekend, I noticed that several of the relays in that panel were not fully seated - perhaps they were not properly reinstalled at some point, or perhaps they vibrated loose over time. I'd try pulling a reseating all the fuses and relays in there and seeing what happens.

If you have a multimeter or a test light, it would be easy to check a few things that might narrow down the problem - I'm thinking the starter relay, the ignition relay, and the ASD relay positions are very much worth testing.
Old 03 Dec 2013, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Sounds like possible shift linkage out of adjustment and/or bad neutral safety switch also.
That would also account for "often would not shift out of reverse".

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Dec 2013, 01:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Try the code retrieval again using these directions. Make sure you turn the key three times within 5 seconds.

How to retrieve fault codes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie View Post
Tried on/off method again. No change. Holds it's odometer reading.
keep trying. this ALWAYS displays codes, or says "done"

read this carefully and try again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 392SRT8 View Post
If you're not getting codes or "Done", then you're not doing it right. Let me clarify on what robb342 listed as the on-off sequence - since the positions used are not "on" & "off".

The key has 4 positions: Off, Acc, Run, Start. Begin with the key in the Run position, then do a sequence of Acc, Run, Acc, Run within 5 seconds. When you end in the Run position on the 2nd time, the ODO will show - - - - - -, then it will start to show any codes and then "Done". If it simply says Done, then there were no codes stored.

Last edited by rob342; 03 Dec 2013 at 01:07 pm.
Old 03 Dec 2013, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
keep trying. this ALWAYS displays codes, or says "done"

read this carefully and try again:
I'm not good at the "key dance" either. The OP likely needs to do what I did and get one of these. They are only $21 with no tax and free shipping. Mine arrived in two about days from the Memphis warehouse.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0XA0851767

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Dec 2013 at 01:40 pm.

Tags
code, no crank, no start