PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
massive oil/coolant issue

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2013, 12:25 am
Regular Cruiser

Default massive oil/coolant issue

I was driving home today, my cars heater started blowing cold air, then I noticed the temp gauge getting a little hot so I changed coarse and headed toward the auto parts store thinking I was just low on coolant due to me having a small leak that I have yet to find.

As I was pulling into the parking lot my oil light came on and I had one big "cloud" of white "smoke" come out of my exhaust. I got the car parked and shut off and then checked my coolant level and seen that the overflow was empty. I also had a large puddle of coolant or oil or a combination of the two under that car.

The oil on my dipstick seemed normal, couldn't see any milkyness to it that would hint towards a head gasket issue but it was dark out so it still might have.

I did a quick search on here and seen that the oil sending unit is a common issue on these cars.

Would a bad sending unit on top of my coolant leak be a cause of my problems or do I have a bigger issue going on here? also where would I start to look for the issue.

Old 07 Dec 2013, 12:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: massive oil/coolant issue

I suppose you could replace the pressure sender when you have the head off, would make that EZ.
Old 07 Dec 2013, 12:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestown478 View Post
I was driving home today, my cars heater started blowing cold air, then I noticed the temp gauge getting a little hot so I changed coarse and headed toward the auto parts store thinking I was just low on coolant due to me having a small leak that I have yet to find.

As I was pulling into the parking lot my oil light came on and I had one big "cloud" of white "smoke" come out of my exhaust. I got the car parked and shut off and then checked my coolant level and seen that the overflow was empty. I also had a large puddle of coolant or oil or a combination of the two under that car.

The oil on my dipstick seemed normal, couldn't see any milkyness to it that would hint towards a head gasket issue but it was dark out so it still might have.

I did a quick search on here and seen that the oil sending unit is a common issue on these cars.

Would a bad sending unit on top of my coolant leak be a cause of my problems or do I have a bigger issue going on here? also where would I start to look for the issue.
Small steps...

Replace you low coolant with water only. Start your engine and see if you are getting moisture out the exhaust. Also if the oil light comes back on or engine light? If so you will need to check for DTCs (engine codes). Do not use the key dance as you will need to read all the codes and not just a random few that may or may not appear using that method. You will also need to note any and then have them cleared.
The next thing to do is to pressure check the coolant system which should also lead to your mystery leak.
Look for any film in the coolant which may be a sign of crankcase oil contamination from a head or head gasket issue. Also see if you eventually get the indication of coolant in the crankiness oil.
You may need to do a compression test and followed by a "wet" compression test and then a leak down test?
Look at the condition of your radiator cap and any leaks around the thermostat housing.
Old 07 Dec 2013, 12:49 am
Regular Cruiser

I did notice oil had leaked onto my passenger side axel and the surrounding area. I replaced the tstat, the housing and the radiator cap about a month or so ago due to leaking coolant from that area.

Old 07 Dec 2013, 12:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I did notice oil had leaked onto my passenger side axel and the surrounding area. I replaced the tstat, the housing and the radiator cap about a month or so ago due to leaking coolant from that area.
The valve cover may be leaking?

You may want to double check you work, not the labor but the condition of the parts. I have not really been satisfied with any thermostat housing OEM or aftermarket they all seem a bit poorly reproduced. The radiator caps do not seem to seal well on any of them.
Old 07 Dec 2013, 01:19 am
Regular Cruiser

I was kind of thinking I had a leak from the valve cover along with maybe some oil coming out of the sender itself?

Old 07 Dec 2013, 08:35 am
Regular Cruiser

Update. Coolant is low but not contaminated. Same with oil. The oil is a litle dark but not too bad. Def can tell there is an oil leak with how messy the bottom of motor is.

Old 07 Dec 2013, 09:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

My car did that. Don't take anything apart. It sounds like you pushed your luck and didn't refill the car when you should have. I've done that...Recently..I'll bet you'll be fine. Don't worry too much, just keep a better eye on it until you figure it out.
Old 07 Dec 2013, 09:43 am
Regular Cruiser

I don't think it was just a pushing my luck on it, there is def. a puddle of coolant under the car and a good amount of oil on the motor itself.

Old 07 Dec 2013, 11:58 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
I don't think it was just a pushing my luck on it, there is def. a puddle of coolant under the car and a good amount of oil on the motor itself.
I too had an oil leak and thought it was my valve cover but thanks to the guys here on the forum it turned out to be the cam sensor leaking. Replaced that and wa la.. no oil leak. I could have just gone for the oil sensor seal, would have been a lot cheaper but now I have a spare cam sensor lol.
MSD
NKG
VMS Racing 10.1 Red Plug Wires
Installed Heated Leather Seats