Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shift Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2002, 02:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Shift Kit

I bought a used '01 Limited Edition PT about a month ago. I like it a lot, but I want to make it more to my liking. Picked up a K&N intake but haven't had time to install it yet. I'm not sure I need cold air induction in the winter. I would like to do something in the automatic transmission to raise the shift points. About the time the engine gets up into the power band the trans shifts up and it doesn't pull like I want. Does anyone make a shift kit for these cars? I've been looking but haven't found any yet.

Old 10 Nov 2002, 02:42 am
Senior Cruiser

First, let me tell you I am no expert as I just bought my Cruiser last month. I dont think the K&N intake will hurt in the Winter but if you want to wait till spring to put it on and just take care of the restrictions in the stock system that should work and give you a benchmark to judge how well the new intake works. The only thing I have seen that works on the tranny shifts is the various chip mods that are for sale. I have never seen a shift kit but perhaps if you live close to a tranny speed shop you can ask them for a performance tune-up. These tiny 4 cylinders realy dont pull much they rely on making HP relatively high up on the rpm band. Hope this helps!

Old 10 Nov 2002, 11:58 am
Cool Cruiser

I think the only thing that will help you is one of the computer chip upgrades. I have read reports that they really help the way the tranmisson shifts Keep in mind that they require hi test gas and could void the factory warranty because they mess with engine timing and sensors. There is no reason not to use the
K & N now. This will be my second winter with one and have had no problems