Advertisements
Jerking - CEL ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2013, 11:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Jerking - CEL ...

Need some ideas. Last Tuesday (yep about a week ago) on the way home from work my PT started jerking, no acceleration and threw a CEL. I pulled over. Turned it off for a few minutes, it started right back up. I ran an errand on the way home, it started right back up, never did the jerking thing again. Didn't think too much about it.

Wednesday morning, would not start. Would crank all day, no start. Had to have it towed.

History: June 2012 - replaced fuel pump as part of my (attempted) self diagnosis of what turned out to be a bad timing belt. Timing was fixed at a local dealership in June 2012 when the mileage was about 96K (luckily under an extended warranty). My car is 2003 PT Manual transmission with just under 116K miles.

The way it was acting on Wednesday reminded me of last time, when the timing was broken.

Shop pulled codes, and have now replaced the camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor and the knock sensor. (and the lower torque/motor mount) He pulled off the timing covers and verified that the belt is properly positioned... The PT does run at this point.

I went to pick it up Saturday morning.... after them telling me it was fixed as of Friday night. Said he test drove it Friday. Got half a freaking block before jerk jerk jerk and CEL back on ... Flipped around and took it right back, while it was still kinda moving. He said it was throwing the same codes: the -shaft position sensors, knock, etc.

It's a shop that my friend has used for years... they are really nice, and didn't charge me as much as they said initially for what they've done so far. My friend trusts them, and I don't know any other place, except the dealership that did the Timing repair last year, but I never got a good feeling about them....

The shop says they are bringing someone in today to test the computer.

Any other ideas? What could it be?

Last edited by mikelikestobike; 09 Dec 2013 at 12:12 pm.
Old 09 Dec 2013, 12:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Jerking - CEL ...

Welcome to the forum.

Along with the Camshaft position sensor is a Target Magnet and the electrical connection plus the wiring harness that runs from the sensor around back of the engine. All three of these things have given owners trouble in the past and have set the code for the sensor itself.

Replace the magnet. Verify the connection to the sensor is tight and all pins are straight and there's no corrosion and lastly, trace the harness all the way back around the engine to make sure it isn't rubbing against something that's torn through the covering down to the wires.

This last one happened to me as the harness hung down close to the spinning half shaft and burned through the wires.

P.S. I've done away with your link in your signature. Not allowed.

randyincctx likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 09 Dec 2013 at 12:51 pm.
Old 09 Dec 2013, 01:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Cruisin - Sorry that signature has been set-up and not messed with for years, didn't realize I was being naughty. Thanks

I'll ask them about the magnet, I know they looked at wiring on Thursday and Friday.

Could be the computer, right? Any idea of a cost?
Old 09 Dec 2013, 02:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yea, it could be the computer but there's lots of other things to look at first especially since you have the codes for sensors and they give owners more grief than almost any other part.

Second, I should say that any after market (store bought) sensor usually turns out to be a bad part that doesn't last very long. Our advice on this forum is to only buy a MOPAR sensor from the dealer. Cost a bit more but worth it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Dec 2013, 02:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks again.

I didn't buy the parts, the shop ordered them. I'll have to check if they are Mopar or not.

They believe they have replaced all of those sensors and so it must be something else. Computer is their thinking for the culprit. Supposedly it's being checked today.

I'm so sick of this. Been going on since Tuesday night/ Wednesday. I was told it was fixed, and luckily I DIDN'T go pick it up and drive several hours with my kids Friday night. I waited until Sat. The way it happened I wouldn't have gotten very far Friday, but what if I was in the middle of nowhere with my 3 kids... ARGH

Last edited by mikelikestobike; 09 Dec 2013 at 02:32 pm.
Old 09 Dec 2013, 02:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I feel your pain but do this: If they say it's the computer (and from a dealer or mechanic could be several hundred dollars) make sure that IF they say it needs it, they will guarantee when they replace it, the probably will go away or you don't pay for it. WAY too many times, mechanics (and dealers) throw parts at a problem till they find the real culprit. Don't let them do that with their word that it will fix the problem....and don't pay till you take it for a good test.

Old 09 Dec 2013, 03:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

What are the codes that have been pulled thus far, specifically? Does it idle but just not rev? Does it's behavior change if there is load vs. no load? Did they hook up a scanner to it to watch the signal from the sensors before just replacing them? What CREWZIN said - lots of mechanics just throw parts at a problem, and often because they don't have the proper tools to diagnose modern cars. Everything made in the last decade or two has LOTS of feedback to give, and if you've got the tools to look for it, they're really not bad to work on.
Old 09 Dec 2013, 07:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Jerking - CEL ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
trace the harness all the way back around the engine to make sure it isn't rubbing against something that's torn through the covering down to the wires.

This last one happened to me as the harness hung down close to the spinning half shaft and burned through the wires.
I would recommend giving that another look,based on the fact that when the car moves the wires/wiring harness also moves back-and-forth,and could be causing an intermittant fault in the wiring,that may not even show on a multi-meter(unless the car is moving!)......I don't want to say some mech/tech.s are lazy,but I have seen some that aren't exactly thorough in diagnosing problems.