PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
help with my pt

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2013, 09:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default help with my pt

need help with my 03 pt cruiser first it began stalling, than once it got started the engine began to rattle, the oil level is good but once it reaches normal operating temp, its as if it has no oil the engine rattles, and the oil light turns on i replaced the oil sensor, and oil itself and it continues to do the same thing and it smells burnt,the engine has 120 thousand miles any help you guys can give would be greatly apreciated
Old 11 Dec 2013, 09:55 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: help with my pt

Some questions first:
Was the timing belt been changed @ 100k?
Are getting a 'Check Engine' light?
Is it giving any error codes?
....See: How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 10:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: help with my pt

I havent changed timing belt but i have changed timing cam sensor and crank sensor a year ago but the codes still apeared after changing them

Last edited by quark1; 11 Dec 2013 at 01:13 pm.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 12:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: help with my pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by quark1 View Post
i have changed timing cam sensor
Did you also change the target magnet?

Old 11 Dec 2013, 01:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quark1 View Post
need help with my 03 pt cruiser first it began stalling, than once it got started the engine began to rattle, the oil level is good but once it reaches normal operating temp, its as if it has no oil the engine rattles, and the oil light turns on i replaced the oil sensor, and oil itself and it continues to do the same thing and it smells burnt,the engine has 120 thousand miles any help you guys can give would be greatly apreciated
If you truly have no oil pressure, there may be a lot more wrong that just a sensor fault.

First, you need to get the trouble codes and find out what they are. One of the members above gave a link to how to retrieve the codes. It's called the "key dance" and it's just repeatedly turning the key off and on in sequence. Read that first if you don't have a code reader.

After you get the codes, report them back here and some of the knowledgeable folks will likely chime in with suggestions.

Here's why they asked about the timing belt. Chrysler suggests that the timing belt on the PT Cruiser be changed every hundred thousand miles. If you don't it will eventually fail. Sometimes, it allows one or both of the camshafts to jump a notch or two. This causes the engine to run badly. And that might explain what's happening with your PT. But the place to start is with the trouble codes.

The oil light could be a bad sensor. Or it may just be that your engine is idling so roughly that the oil pressure does maintain at a very steady rate with idling. It could also indicate much worse catastrophic things such as a bad main bearing, rod bearing or failing oil pump. You would likely have to temporary install a manual oil pressure gauge to really see what is going on with the oil pressure. But again, start with the trouble codes. The most common and easy-to-fix problems will be found that way.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

p 0016 are the codes that are coming up i did not replace the magnet just the sensor the engine sounds ok until it reaches normal operating temperature thats when it sounds really loud as rockers are clattering and the oil smells a bit burnt
Old 11 Dec 2013, 05:02 pm
Banned

welcome to the forum

Why does it seem like people on come on here when they have problems?
Old 11 Dec 2013, 05:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
welcome to the forum

Why does it seem like people on come on here when they have problems?
Some people have problems on here and wont leave.

That's what it is for. To help The PT owners that actually drive and use there pts take care of them. All the rest is a bonus. Well most all.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Dec 2013, 09:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Talking Re: help with my pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Some people have problems on here and wont leave.
LMBO!!!!!
Old 19 Dec 2013, 03:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

still need help with my pt,changed the crank and cam sensor like the obd 2 said but still no change it runs fine till it reaches normal operating temp then its as if no oil is being circulated cause the engine starts to make so much noise anyone who has a idea please help i really apreciate it

Tags
engine problems