Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Loud Engine Noise - Roar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2013, 11:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Loud Engine Noise - Roar

2008 PT stock edition, 82,500 miles. Recently my wife returned from a long trip to StL and back (Hampton Roads, VA) and this sound just...happened, really. No lead-in or similar sounds, just started. The engine makes a loud roar when accelerating past 40mph and stays when in motion at any speed above this. No engine knocking, nor slipping belt sound; nothing like that...really it sounds as if the engine is still moving in 3rd gear at far too high a speed, than much of anything else but I can verify in the tachometer that 4th gear is being engaged (3rd to 4th shift point is currently approximately 2400 and drops to 1900, as with the previous two shift points). No grinding, rocking, knocking, nothing like that at all...just really loud. It actually sounds something like it generates a pulsating sound in the engine signature about every four seconds or so. This pulsation is matched to a vibration pulse felt through the accelerator pedal upward into one's foot. I've verified all fluid levels (automatic transmission, engine oil, power steering and brake fluids) as my initial thought was low transmission fluid keeping the gears from shifting properly. Any thoughts would be appreciated, tanx =)
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Loud Engine Noise - Roar

Sound is different to one person than another. Have you checked over the engine bay to see if anything is out of the ordinary? Check the air filter components really well as it may have come apart and yo may be hearing the rush of air into the throttle body with going all the way through the air filter parts. Stand outside the car with hood open and have someone rev the engine and see if you can determine where the noise is coming from.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:15 am
Veteran Cruiser

can you record a video of it?
Old 13 Dec 2013, 10:02 am
Regular Cruiser

Is it making that sound in idle? I just had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. The sound would increase in 'pitch', I guess you'd call it, as you accelerated, but it didn't happen at all in idle, so figured it to be in the drivetrain...

Major Repairs:
Air Conditioning: Fan Assembly 2008, Fan Assembly 2010, Fan Assembly 2012
Steering: Power Steering Rack 2012
Front Wheel Bearing 2013