Advertisements
LUG NUT Q

Like Tree9Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2013, 09:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Cool LUG NUT Q

'New' 2006 wanted wheels balanced; went to competent shop; couldn't free the lugs; they asked when they were placed on; NO IDEA
So I am getting 20 new chrome 1 piece lug nuts as replacements; car has the alloy wheels; are the nuts still the acorn type or a different design? I had Key Stone Classics in the 70's and the lug nuts were of a different design for my Chevy when using THOSE rims.

Another Q; HOW do I add a picture of my ride to my profile; when I post etc...I didn't see a link in my profile to add one ?!?!?

Nube of sorts... please HELP!

My ride as an attachment

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqNHJDkFJdU48nGHBSc95)iPsw~~60_57.jpg (97.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: LUG NUT Q

On the top blue line look for "User CP". Click on that and look for "Setting and Options" and find the title that says what you want to do. If you want to add a small picture to the top of your posting (Like my Sheriff's star), hit "Edit Avatar" and follow the instructions on that page. The Avatar picture has to be small so it must be downsized before you can add it.

As far as the lug nuts: you have stock alloy wheels on your car according to the picture you posted so just look at one of the lugs you take off and match that when picking new lugs.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 Dec 2013 at 10:03 am.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctobyjoe View Post
Another Q; HOW do I add a picture of my ride to my profile; when I post etc...I didn't see a link in my profile to add one ?!?!?

Joe
save the tiny version of the picture i have attached. this is the maximum size for the pic next to your name.

click the link below, click browse, and upload it.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?do=editavatar

maybe the previous owner had the tires installed at sams club. around here they're famous for overtightening/stripping/breaking lugnuts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic.jpg (4.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by rob342; 12 Dec 2013 at 10:12 am.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Its never a good sign when a shop that does tires and wheels does not want to and can not get your wheel fasteners off. I am surprised that they are all like that or did they just check one and did not want the liability of breaking hub studs?

If the threads have pulled because of over torquing, rust, cross threading during installation or a combination of any then you will have a real problem because there is no easy solution to removing the wheel nuts.

You can try applying heat with a propane torch on the top of the nut and then try to slowly remove it?
Another way to help the threads break free is to use a flat wide center punch By applying one good solid hit you may break the breads enough to use a breaker bar to remove the wheel nut without breaking a stud.
Both of these methods needs a little experience to do correctly but if you are careful and not over zealous at apply force you can try them.

Good luck with that I feel for you.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:57 am
Regular Cruiser

I am surprised that they are all like that or did they just check one and did not want the liability of breaking hub studs?

well they tried a few and got a hold of me and asked what I wanted to do rather than cause problems

If the threads have pulled because of over torquing, rust, cross threading during installation or a combination of any then you will have a real problem because there is no easy solution to removing the wheel nuts.
I know ;-(

They said they would try and do the 'normal things' to get them off and I deferred until I get replacement chrome 1 piece lugs; IF a stud breaks I can't fault them; its the IDIOT who torqued the living hell out of it when it was installed

Thanks for words of kindness; we'll be ok I am sure!

This is just the FIRST of many things I intend on doing since this car is NEW to me...but in stellar shape for a 2006 IMHO. Upgrading radio/speakers first thing in tandem with the tires.

What is the consensus on spark plugs? I see the AUTOLITE Platinums mentioned but NOT any of the fancy BOSCH; the +2 in particular?!?!?

tobyjoe
Old 12 Dec 2013, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Until you get at least one wheel nut off you really will not know what happened. As one example it may have been a simple case that the last person installed the wheels with wet studs? Over torquing is a common reported cause of hard to remove wheel nuts but hard to actually prove. You could use a bar needle torque wrench to estimate the holding force but even that method is very inaccurate. The studs on a PT cruiser will break at 150 lbs and the threads pull at around 130lbs. That is a lot or torque. Most shops regulate the air psi @ 100lbs for safety. Most compressors are regulated factory set at 130lbs. There are exception to all these rules and this is not to say some very inexperienced individual did not "wale" on the air gun?

As for Spark Plugs, there are many threads about who uses what and why. It is full of opinions!
I recommend and most often use on my as well customers vehicles, for PT Cruiser 2.4 a single ground electrode copper spark plug gap set to .040 as a good *standard gap?

*The optimum spark plug gap can only be done through proper testing and spark plug evaluation. All engines in any application varies and there are very few if any standardization. This is why many manufactures of spark plugs use a known gap that will functionally work in a large application base. Vehicle manufactures do not design or engineer spark plugs, they use available manufactures of spark plugs for their power plants as the recommendation for replacements.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Dec 2013, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

its not a good plan but if they are that stuck id just zip them off and if they snap its pretty easy to replace studs
Me im not going to fight with 20 lug nuts trying to baby them off but then Im not a shop that charges a ton of labor on my car if they dont come free with a 4 way or a 3/8 impact then i just get the big boy zip them off and take it from there studs are cheap and a pretty easy fix as long as you can get the wheel and hub off
Old 12 Dec 2013, 11:57 am
Regular Cruiser

well right now it is in the ZERO range wind-chill and my access to my heated garage is BLOCKED so until we see some change and I can get her inside and see myself; we'll let it go; I drove the car some 5-1/2 hrs home (bought last week) at 65-75 and noticed a SLIGHT vibration; that is why I opted for a wheel balance in the first place; solid ad a rock otherwise so we can wait.

Thank you for your input
Old 12 Dec 2013, 12:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

As for Spark Plugs, there are many threads about who uses what and why. It is full of opinions!
I recommend and most often use on my as well customers vehicles, for PT Cruiser 2.4 a single ground electrode copper spark plug gap set to .040 as a good *standard gap?

Bought 2 different sets; one is the BOSCH +2 plugs and the Autolite platinums; BOSCH had a rebate; Autolite NO. I found an illustrated post on how to replace; MY only concern is when the intake is removed; are those gaskets more or less silicone and need not be replaced but kept clean? I wouldn't do the plugs unless I was doing the wires at the same time.

I had a BUM experience with BOSCH years ago when the THIN WIRE electrode pulled from the fused area of the insulator. I thought maybe the consensus here was STAY AWAY!!!

Another unrelated Q. Experienced on my 97 TAURUS a REUSABLE transmission gasket; center part was a hard plastic; on both sides was a mirror image ribbed silicone (4 or so rows) that only needed to be properly cleaned then reinstalled not necessarily using Permatex at all. I assume there is NO SUCH counterpart for a Cruiser 4 SP OD? (code DGL)

Thanks loads
Old 12 Dec 2013, 12:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
its not a good plan but if they are that stuck id just zip them off and if they snap its pretty easy to replace studs
Me im not going to fight with 20 lug nuts trying to baby them off but then Im not a shop that charges a ton of labor on my car if they dont come free with a 4 way or a 3/8 impact then i just get the big boy zip them off and take it from there studs are cheap and a pretty easy fix as long as you can get the wheel and hub off
Changing hub studs is not always easy and especially if unlike you some have no experience with doing it.

Quote:
well right now it is in the ZERO range wind-chill and my access to my heated garage is BLOCKED so until we see some change and I can get her inside and see myself; we'll let it go; I drove the car some 5-1/2 hrs home (bought last week) at 65-75 and noticed a SLIGHT vibration; that is why I opted for a wheel balance in the first place; solid ad a rock otherwise so we can wait.

Thank you for your input
"Murphy"s law....hope you don't get a flat out on the road and can't change the it!

Quote:

Bought 2 different sets; one is the BOSCH +2 plugs and the Autolite platinums; BOSCH had a rebate; Autolite NO. I found an illustrated post on how to replace; MY only concern is when the intake is removed; are those gaskets more or less silicone and need not be replaced but kept clean? I wouldn't do the plugs unless I was doing the wires at the same time.

I had a BUM experience with BOSCH years ago when the THIN WIRE electrode pulled from the fused area of the insulator. I thought maybe the consensus here was STAY AWAY!!!

Another unrelated Q. Experienced on my 97 TAURUS a REUSABLE transmission gasket; center part was a hard plastic; on both sides was a mirror image ribbed silicone (4 or so rows) that only needed to be properly cleaned then reinstalled not necessarily using Permatex at all. I assume there is NO SUCH counterpart for a Cruiser 4 SP OD? (code DGL)

Thanks loads
There are always going to be some one having a problem with even the best of manufactured parts. Spark plugs and manufacturing defects are not without causalities.

The plastic intake uses neoprene seals and should be capable of reuse if not damage or stretch during removable. I always recommend that if spark plugs are being changed on a PT cruiser to always remove the upper intake to gain complete access to the spark plugs. Ten extra minutes of your time can save you hours of problem solving later?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Closed Thread